New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Ľ Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Ľ Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Can I increase text size in a .pdf e-book?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi all.
Try to picture this. I have about 50 e-books on my iPad and maybe 45 of them are in .pdf format. The size of the text on some of them are perfect for my old eyes for a bit of bed-time reading but most of them are written in text that is far to small.
So what I'm hoping is that somebody can tell me how to increase the size of the text. Hopefully, I will be able to do it as I open a book and notice that the text is really small but failing that, if I have to come out of the book and change the text size everywhere on the iPad, that would also work.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Assuming you are using iBooks, there should be an option on the top right that looks like "a A" or something which should change the text size? Have you tried that?

Check out: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...e-on-the-.html

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Hi and thanks for the reply.
My wife has stolen my iPad for the day and I can't remember the actual name of the App that we use for eBook reading but it looks like a section of wooden library shelf. When I click the App it opens up to show a much larger section of shelf with the front covers of some of the books displayed.
There is no sign of a way to change the text size on that page and nor is there one when you open up an individual book. I can find a small magnifying glass that brings up a search option and a link back to the main Library page but that's about it.
Thanks for trying and keep the ideas coming.

If I changed all the .pdf e-books with tiny text into ePub format do you know if the size of the text would change to a standard, larger size?

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

From your description, that's iBooks. Follow the link I posted in the previous reply and you should be able to change the font size there..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

OK, I have my iPad back now and I can confirm that it IS the iBook App that I am using to read the .pdf e-books.
Razor .... if you open the link that you gave me in your first reply and then scroll down the page until you get to a target with an arrow sticking out of it you will see the title "Changing the font size and type". If you look at the top, right hand edge of the first image, and reading from the left, I have the snowflake icon for adjusting the screen brightness but the next icon is the Search magnifying glass with another icon that I don't know the use of at the very edge. There is definitely no icon with "a - A" to change the font size.
Cheers,
Steve

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

You are right sir, it turns out that the font control is only available with the ePub files not PDFs. I have a bunch of ePub files and some technical books in PDF and all of my ePub novels get the font control..bummer..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 1200GB SSD, 500GB HD

Some PDFs are like that. They are image based PDFs so its like you are looking at a giant jpg image. Unfortunately with those ones you want be able to change the text size.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

So would you suggest converting all the .pdf files into ePub files?
If I did that, would the converted files (which are now ePub) have the "a - A" icon to enable font size change?
Maybe my best bet is to convert a few and see what happens.
Thanks for trying, guys.
Steve

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

I'd tried converting a bunch of my PDFs to ePub and found that the conversion didn't quite work as well especially with PDFs that had images and so on didn't translate well at all and the rest of them were just mangled.

I was using eCalibre to do the conversion, perhaps you'll have better luck..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Happy days.
I converted some of the .pdf eBooks into the .epub format using Convert Files - free online file converter and flash video downloader.Convert videos, audio files, documents and ebooks.YouTube to MP3 and it seems to have worked perfectly. The only images are the book cover art work and I have skipped through about 40 pages in different books and they all seem to have converted without a hitch.
Oh ..... I also have the "a - A" icon but I tried 5 books, including the ones that had tiny text in .pdf and they all seem to be a readable size.
Job done.
Cheers guys,
Steve

ps ..... Mmmmm, I didn't put that red text in there. I put a simple url but clicking the red stuff will take you to the page that converts any file to any file. I have used it many, many times with no fuss and it is free.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 3 now or wait? | I bought an iPad »