New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

To buy an iPad, or not to buy.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

amitashr

amitashr is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am an undergraduate student and mainly use computers for development/programming, movies, lot of reading and browsing.

I own a 2012 MBA 13" which I am very pleased with and carry pretty much most places that I go to. However, I do find it annoying to carry it to conferences, a few classes and pretty much anywhere that doesn't require coding.

Now, I recently got a bit of cash, just enough for a new iPad with 3g. I thought I would treat myself and go get it, but is it going to be an utter waste of cash as I already own a very portable air? Or is the iPad worth it for the apps, reading books etc? Please shoot your views!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

My thoughts are…an iPad is a nice addition to a notebook computer…especially (like you mentioned) if you travel or attend certain functions when a heavier & bulkier laptop computer seems like too much.

But…if someone is short on cash (like many students are…and many "working folks")…then getting an iPad might not be the best purchase. Especially for someone who already owns a very portable & light MacBook Air.

Again…yes…and iPad does work better than a notebook computer in some situations…but are those few situations worth the $629 (bottom end iPad 3 with 3G)?? Especially if this sort of cash does not come your way very often.

If you have both (MacBook Air & an iPad)…I've heard many a story where if someone has both…one of them gets used MUCH less than the other…then "buyer's remorse" can set in.

It is a VERY tough decision!!! I've been thinking about getting an iPad since the first iPads were released 2.5 years ago…and with my needs…I haven't convinced myself yet (at least to buy a brand new iPad). If I could find a used one for the right price…I would snap it up.

I think someone needs to get me REALLY DRUNK…then take me to the Apple Store. The I would probably buy on for sure!!!

- Nick

p.s. Don't forget to check the Apple refurbished area at Apple.com…if you do decide to purchase.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
amitashr

amitashr is on a distinguished road

Well I guess I'm in the same boat.. I love the iPad but something is just holding me back.. Perhaps it's because I don't have an iPhone or any other portable apple device.. Guess I'll wait till the 12th.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

It's not so much a matter of "won't this duplicate a lot of the functionality of my (insert notebook model here) ... it's a matter of "will I use it?" really.

I find that the answer is yes. I have a MBP that I have to carry when I'm working (can't QUITE do the whole just using the iPad just yet), but when I'm not working I much prefer to use the iPad. I enjoy watching videos, dictating email, surfing the web, playing games and other "leisure time" activities on it. I've used it for "work" (writing mainly) but I prefer it as my "relaxing" computer.

So basically what's happened with me is that I have my laptop which I now mostly use for work, and my iPad which I now mostly use for leisure. YMMV, of course, and in particular just at the moment I'd wait to see what the 12th brings us in terms of news on an alleged "iPad mini" but basically I find that the two devices complement each other, and the iPad has proven to be a wonderful travel companion where I used to have to take the MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitashr View Post
Well I guess I'm in the same boat.. I love the iPad but something is just holding me back.. Perhaps it's because I don't have an iPhone or any other portable apple device.. Guess I'll wait till the 12th.
Waiting till the 12th…is a very good idea…it may modify your current thoughts on getting a 9.7" iPad.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

MacWorld Magazine seems to think the rumored smaller iPad will be similar in size to the Nexus (a little larger screen though) and will not be available with a retina display. However, as Nick says.... wait until the 12th to see what Apple does bring forth.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

The popular rumors for the 12th are the intro of the iPhone 5…and a smaller iPad.

But nothing is for sure until Apple actually intros it!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

CanuckBoater will become famous soon enough

Amazon introduced an interesting tablet today.

$500 for 8.9 inch 4G with a $50 yearly 4G data package.

Worth looking into.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

To assist with your question - I have a first generation Ipad. Bought the 2012 Air and have stopped using the Ipad .. except for niche uses (airplane, occasional magazines since notebook formatting for mags isn't there yet).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Verizon would give me a yearly subscription to 4G for $50.00. I'm paying a monthly fee of $30 for 2GB of 4G or $20 for 1GB of 4G. However, the "hotspot" option is included in those prices.
QUOTE Thanks
CanuckBoater

The monthly fees for my Ipad drove me crazy. Wished I had only purchased the Wifi model. Live and learn.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Unfortunately I can't live with the WiFi only model. We go out in the boon docks here in Texas where there is no WiFi but usually Verizon 3G or 4G is available.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
The popular rumors for the 12th are the intro of the iPhone 5…and a smaller iPad.

But nothing is for sure until Apple actually intros it!

- Nick
From all indications, the so-called "iPad mini" will replace (and be the functional equivalent of) the iPad 2, just at a lower price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBoater View Post
Amazon introduced an interesting tablet today.

$500 for 8.9 inch 4G with a $50 yearly 4G data package.

Worth looking into.
Yes, worth looking into ... until you discover that it comes with un-turn-off-able ADS. On the homescreen and the lockscreen.

Also, about that great deal of a plan: that's 250MB per month ... and comes with additional ads.

Yeah. Be sure to look into that. Then walk to the Apple Store.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Heat Build Up | Why are my apps taking up so much space? »