New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

E-readers... Ipad vs nook vs kindle

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maximus95000

maximus95000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.53GHz Core i5, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HD

I'm shopping around seeing what's available in terms of e-readers. I just want something simple strictly for reading ebooks. I don't need anything with fancy video or internet browsing features, I already have a wi-fi laptop and my Iphone.

For that reason, I don't plan on going for a new Ipad because that's way more $$$ than I want to spend (I'd like to try to keep the price under $150), and most of the Ipad features I already have on my Iphone. But I might be open to the possibility of buying a used 1st gen. ipad if I can get one for a decent price.

But for now, I'm looking at the various models of Nook and Kindle. So what do you guys think? Ipad vs kindle vs nook? What would you choose?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

I went iPad, it's FAR better than my iPhone for many, many things. We have a kindle around here as well, it's an older one.. so it's only an e-reader.. and it's largely ignored.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If you are ONLY using it as an ereader, don't bother with an iPad, especially a first gen iPad. Either get a kindle (my recommendation) or a nook. I'd stick with one of the e-ink tabs instead of an LCD model.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

If you believe the rumour mill the answer to your question may change in the next couple of months.
I am talking about the "rumoured" iPad mini which would serve as a perfect e-reader with a lot of additional functionality.

Something to think about
DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHH View Post
If you believe the rumour mill the answer to your question may change in the next couple of months.
I am talking about the "rumoured" iPad mini which would serve as a perfect e-reader with a lot of additional functionality.

Something to think about
DavidH
Not really. He wants an e-reader, not a tablet. And with the rumored $250-$300 price of the iPad Mini it's also out of his budget.

QUOTE Thanks
coledeb

coledeb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 11" i5 Mid 2012 Mountain Lion 10.8.5

If it was just a choice in between those three I would choose the Kindle. I actually own an ipad 1st gen and have used a Kindle Fire extensively and the Fire is much faster and more responsive.

Romans 8:31
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

My reccommendation is that you try them out and then choose. I really wanted a Kindle, but when it came down to it I found that I absolutely hate e-Ink.

For me the iPad is an almost perfect eReader.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The new 3rd Generation iPad with retina display is a perfect e-reader among other things that it can do. More expensive than the Kindle but you get much more.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The new 3rd Generation iPad with retina display is a perfect e-reader among other things that it can do. More expensive than the Kindle but you get much more.
I'm on the opposite boat. I've used the iPad as an ereader, and it works as an ereader but its much heavier than a dedicated ereader. I just picked up a nice 7in tablet, the Nexus 7, and its much nicer to hold than an iPad.

QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I'm on the opposite boat. I've used the iPad as an ereader, and it works as an ereader but its much heavier than a dedicated ereader. I just picked up a nice 7in tablet, the Nexus 7, and its much nicer to hold than an iPad.
Stretch, that is what I mean with iPad Mini with its rumoured 7" Size.
I think it will compete in the e-Reader market place because it should be able to do so much more functionaly and will be a more comfortable form factor for an e-Reader.

Maybe I have been reading too many rumours. lol

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

But an iPad Mini will be well above the $150 budget he has.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
But an iPad Mini will be well above the $150 budget he has.
POSSIBLY. And possibly NOT. Unless you're in charge of pricing for Apple, you don't actually know this. Given that it's two main competitors are priced at $200, I would say that if Apple's going to do an iPad mini AT ALL, it can't really be more than $250 (and would likely be less) in order to succeed.

But to answer the OP's actual question: if you're set on an E-READER and NOT a versatile mini-computer, then I'd suggest you get the JUST-announced Kindle Paperwhite @ $119:

Amazon reveals new Kindle Paperwhite | Electronista

The 3G version (which does not require a 3G contract, the 3G is only to Amazon and free of charge) costs $179. Both will ship on October 1.
QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
POSSIBLY. And possibly NOT. Unless you're in charge of pricing for Apple, you don't actually know this. Given that it's two main competitors are priced at $200, I would say that if Apple's going to do an iPad mini AT ALL, it can't really be more than $250 (and would likely be less) in order to succeed.

But to answer the OP's actual question: if you're set on an E-READER and NOT a versatile mini-computer, then I'd suggest you get the JUST-announced Kindle Paperwhite @ $119:

Amazon reveals new Kindle Paperwhite | Electronista

The 3G version (which does not require a 3G contract, the 3G is only to Amazon and free of charge) costs $179. Both will ship on October 1.
Chas_m
The Kindle Paperwhite looks like a great e-reader, and it is priced right.
I don't think their new Kindle Fire HD is going to compete with Apple's iPad though.

David
QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

I have iPad and kindle. As a reader, the kindle is much easier to read. I do a lot of reading outside and the kindle is much, much better. No glare.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The Nook is also a very fine e-reader, but I think the Kindle Paperwhite ups the game a notch. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

Clarification: I am not sure if the Kindle Paperwhite is subject to the despicable bait-and-switch of "special offers" (ads) all over the place. You'll want to make sure that it isn't (or that you can pay extra to opt out) before purchasing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Homepage Safari iPad Air | What Does "Renew Lease" Mean? »