New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

I bought an iPad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10.1, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

I didn't need one and never really wanted one but after a visit to my local store where everything went hazy for 10 minutes and I turned into an excited child I went and bought a new iPad.

We already have an iMac and MacBook along with an iPhone and iPod touch, so my question is, what do we do with this thing now??!?!

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I use mine constantly (in fact I'm using it now to respond to your post). And, I have pretty much the same as you, except Mac Mini instead of iMac and gave away my iPod Touch.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I use mine for e-mailing, browsing, watching Netflix wherever I go, reading books..

I'm sure you can find some use for it, if not, you are still within the return period I'm sure to just give it back and spend the money elsewhere..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Use it for what you thought you bought it for its a convient way of surfing,email,photo viewing and apps that has the longest battery life of any iDevice while being portable enough and big enough not to induce eyestrain.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Use it for what you thought you bought it for its a convient way of surfing,email,photo viewing and apps that has the longest battery life of any iDevice while being portable enough and big enough not to induce eyestrain.
+1

Just don't try to say that all I one breath.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I see you're in Wales - if you have Sky, check out all their apps - movies/TV on the go, remote control from you iPad, remote record.

Web browsing, email, Netflix, iPlayer, Spotify, Twitter, remote desktop to your Macs, photo viewing , editing, News and games. That's just from the stuff I use daily on the first page of my iPad.

Depends on your interests but have a look at:
Tweetbot
Flipboard
iPlayer
Paper
LogMeIN
Dropbox
Evernote
Spotify
Photosync
Photogene2
StreamToMe
IMDB
Fieldrunners2
iPhoto
Pages
iMovie
Chrome
Atomic Web Browser
VeVo
Netflix
4oD
Demand5
ITVPlayer
TVCatchUp
I think that'll do to be going on with.
When the first iPad came out I thought - big iPod Touch, not interested. I tried one in the Apple store and was immediately beguiled, but walked away. My good lady bought one for me as a birthday present. I've since replaced that with a new iPad. Now you'd need to prise the thing from my cold dead hands

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.10.1, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

Thanks everyone

Perhaps I should have worded the question differently. What do I do that I don't already use the other stuff for?

One thing I thought about was using it as a photo viewer when out in the field taking pictures but thanks to the biblically wet weather here at the moment haven't had a chance to do so yet.

Mrplow, I've got the sky go app on my phone and laptop so that's me maxed out there but thanks.

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You still want to look at sky cloud wifi and the sky + app

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
Thanks everyone

Perhaps I should have worded the question differently. What do I do that I don't already use the other stuff for?

One thing I thought about was using it as a photo viewer when out in the field taking pictures but thanks to the biblically wet weather here at the moment haven't had a chance to do so yet.

Mrplow, I've got the sky go app on my phone and laptop so that's me maxed out there but thanks.
You can't do anything with your iPad and that you can't do with what you already have. Of course you can perform surgery with a razor blade instead of a scalpel and use an axe in place of a chainsaw.

It is all about convenience and user experience. If that doesn't matter or isn't better for you, then return it. You don't need an iPad.

QUOTE Thanks
Geekbabe

Geekbabe has a spectacular aura about

I love my iPad, use it every day to surf forums like this one, watch Netflix & PBS. I love the camera & the ability to quickly edit & share pictures. The voice dictation is also amazing and the screen quality is top shelf. Congrats on your new toy
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I use my iPad when I'm too lazy to drag myself out of bed. Which is pretty much all the time. I also use it when I go out of the house where I know I'm going to have a lot of "free time." IE. shopping with the G/f. >_>"

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyr View Post
Thanks everyone

This is almost true but you will not have to put it on the charger as quick as your other devices in case you have not tried it the thing will go 12+ hours before it quits.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
This is almost true but you will not have to put it on the charger as quick as your other devices in case you have not tried it the thing will go 12+ hours before it quits.
Oh I don't know about 12+ hours. I get maybe 8, but that's with wifi, and screen brightness at 100%.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
bongonajja

bongonajja is on a distinguished road

I have a MacBook Pro and I've been thinking about getting an iPad. The reason I haven't gotten it yet is because I keep asking myself, why do I need it when I have the MacBook Pro? Would that be a waste of money? I am planning a trip to Thailand for Christmas and I thought the iPad might be more convenient, but is it worth the extra money?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

I think its great for on the go almost instant on and use besides being very portable and not having to charge as often as other devices and mirroring with an Apple TV3 is a plus when friends and family are over.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I increase text size in a .pdf e-book? | All Photos visible on iPad not visible on Mac for transfer? »