Can you upgrade storage
    Is it possible to upgrade the storage on the new ipad from 16gb to 32gb?
    Thanks.

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    I don't think so. I'm sure it wasn't in iPad 1 and 2.
    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ipadsandmac View Post
    Is it possible to upgrade the storage on the new ipad from 16gb to 32gb?
    Thanks.
    Yes! It's called selling your 16gig iPad...and buying a 32gig iPad!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    Or, buy the camera connection kit and attach an external SD card to the iPad. Large capacity cards have dropped considerably in price.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Or, buy the camera connection kit and attach an external SD card to the iPad. Large capacity cards have dropped considerably in price.
    This doesn't actually work, as I understand it. The SD connector is one-way only (from the card to the iPad) and there is no file system for you to "mount" the card and move files to it. I could be wrong but that's my understanding. The USB connector part is only SLIGHTLY more versatile but doesn't support things like drives etc.

No memory update ...ever
    Concider this, the new MacBooks and AIR notebooks all have non-upgradable memory. This is apple's new trend. You want more, you buy more- next! I guess they look at it this way, we make our stuff so well, no one is buying new. If you could add memory you wouldn't buy a new iPad.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by zipur View Post
    Concider this, the new MacBooks and AIR notebooks all have non-upgradable memory. This is apple's new trend. You want more, you buy more- next! I guess they look at it this way, we make our stuff so well, no one is buying new. If you could add memory you wouldn't buy a new iPad.
    You're confusing memory (RAM) and storage (SSD on some of the devices you mention, HD on others).

I haven't yet seen (with the iPhone, the iPad or the Air) that people are buying new ones solely because they've run out of storage space. Mostly they seem to (if they've bought one and realise they didn't get enough storage space or RAM for their needs) sell theirs and use that money to fund buying the one they now realize they need.

I have an easy rule for avoiding this problem: never buy the lowest-end model.

But it seems to me that most people think about the amount of space or RAM they'll need with these machines and buy accordingly, so the issue isn't really as big a deal as I initially thought it might be. I've found from experience that I tend to upgrade my machine every five years or so even if its working perfectly, usually for other reasons (mainly features or processors that I want) so I don't have time to "outgrow" my "middle level" choice of iPad, iPhone or what have you.

With the early AIRs the storage issue could be a problem if you didn't have the discipline to keep your media files on an external, but in fact OWC offers larger SSDs for those models now anyway so the problem is kind of moot (assuming you can afford the SSD prices!).

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I have an easy rule for avoiding this problem: never buy the lowest-end model.
    Better yet, buy a machine that you can upgrade and do so when you can bear the costs.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information