New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Screen burn on ipad2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Khobizlover

Khobizlover is on a distinguished road

Hello wonderful people of Mac forums this is my first real post here, So bare with me.
I am having problems with my iPad 2 having screen burn (when I close an app the image is still there) some people call it ghosting. I was wondering if apple would replace it free of charge even if my Warrenty is over. Just by 3 months might I add. I also had problems with it being stuck in lock rotation and the wake sleep button not working.however I had just left them and after a few week it fixed it self. Now that this problem is here I cant take it anymore. Also when I do take it in to be looked at is there a backround or specific app I should have open to show the the worst of it. Thx in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

It is extremely unlikely that your iPad suffers from image burn - not only is the phenomenon nearly non-existent with LCD technology, but it would take many days of the same image being constantly on the screen - and the iPad's battery would never make it.

Your iPad most likely has a different issue.. Before you get too upset, I would do a restore to the device (instructions here) and see if that does the trick.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Khobizlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
It is extremely unlikely that your iPad suffers from image burn - not only is the phenomenon nearly non-existent with LCD technology, but it would take many days of the same image being constantly on the screen - and the iPad's battery would never make it.

Your iPad most likely has a different issue.. Before you get too upset, I would do a restore to the device (instructions here) and see if that does the trick.

Thx for the advice. I will try it. However I would like permanently solve the problem not temporary solve the problem because it's only a matter of time before it would start up again. I have searched around and found out its a common problem on iPad 2s I would like to know if apple would replace my device free of charge since its there fault. I don't want to go there and have them say it's out of Warrenty and i have to pay an arm and a leg for repairs. I am currently out of the country and am going there for a 2week period. I don't wanna end up leaving with a not fixed iPad. If i were to call do u think they could tell me if I could get it replaced free. Thx soo much for ur help.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobizlover View Post
Thx for the advice. I will try it. However I would like permanently solve the problem not temporary solve the problem because it's only a matter of time before it would start up again. I have searched around and found out its a common problem on iPad 2s I would like to know if apple would replace my device free of charge since its there fault. I don't want to go there and have them say it's out of Warrenty and i have to pay an arm and a leg for repairs. I am currently out of the country and am going there for a 2week period. I don't wanna end up leaving with a not fixed iPad. If i were to call do u think they could tell me if I could get it replaced free. Thx soo much for ur help.
Googling around, I see that you're right - there's quite a number of people complaining of "image retention". Technically, the old CRT phenomenon of "image burn", seems unlikely, but nevertheless, it seems that some people are seeing this phenomenon on early iPad 2's. I would say that a warranty replacement is probably unlikely - but perhaps a goodwill gesture, if you play your cards right, is possible (i.e. be very polite, but gently assertive).

I would say your chances are probably better if you can demonstrate the issue for someone in-person, like at an Apple Store. In any event, it never hurts to ask... worst they can say is "no".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I have owned 5 iPads and never seen or heard of it FWIW but it is possible it could be a screen panel defect.

So, to answer your question, "would Apple replace my iPad for free?"
Unlikely, they might (I would even say probably) replace your screen for free, providing that
a) the defect is present and apparent when you bring it in
b) it results from a hardware issue, and not 3rd party software etc

EDIT: I see I spent way too much time googling and typing . . . CWA beat me to the punch

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Khobizlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
I have owned 5 iPads and never seen or heard of it FWIW but it is possible it could be a screen panel defect.

So, to answer your question, "would Apple replace my iPad for free?"
Unlikely, they might (I would even say probably) replace your screen for free, providing that
a) the defect is present and apparent when you bring it in
b) it results from a hardware issue, and not 3rd party software etc

EDIT: I see I spent way too much time googling and typing . . . CWA beat me to the punch

Thx you guys for the quick responses.
So you think they might actually replace the screen for free if when I go it's clear there is screen retention?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khobizlover View Post
Thx you guys for the quick responses.
So you think they might actually replace the screen for free if when I go it's clear there is screen retention?
Well, outside of the warranty period, they're under no obligation to do so. But Apple has been known to do "goodwill" gestures from time-to-time, particularly if it's a "known defect". In any case, I'd definitely schedule an Apple Store appointment and see what, if anything, they'd be willing to do.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

So, any word on this? Did you have a chance to stop by an Apple Store?

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you upgrade storage | Can you take a look at my iPad screen? »