New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad used instead of a Laptop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Nearly a switcher here,
I was hoping to switch this month but got the electricity bill! Apparently, my state now has the honour of having the dearest electricity on the planet!

Sorry, getting off track here,
I do a lot of fishing trips away and always take my laptop for Internet access and any other business on the trip

I have been thinking of buying an iPad and one of those "new" iPad keyboards,
Thinking that this would be a more compact option for travelling and if so, I could retire the laptop as I'm getting an iMac 27"

Would the iPad/keyboard combo be a better option for travel?

I don't know how good the batteries are in the iPad or how the wireless Internet compares with a laptop either?
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The iPad is a great alternative to a laptop depending on your use. If you use it to browse the web, send e-mail, and a few other things. Then it's a perfect solution. You can also be productive with things like Pages, Numbers and so on and save files to Dropbox or whatever to continue work..

But anyway, let us know what you do with your laptop right now and we can tell you if the iPad can do that and more..

As far as wireless internet goes, the iPad does come with 3G on the iPad/iPad2 and 4G LTE on the "new iPad"..this is cellular technology and will work as good as your cell coverage is where you're headed. The 3G and 4G will obviously be fast enough for most things..

I have a WiFi iPad 2, so I'm not a good judge of how good the 3G and 4G works for general use, other iPad users should chime in here..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

I guess , in general, email, web forums, mainly photographic, (now a Mac Forum groupie )
I may upload some of my images to check image quality but not leave them there, (usually 4-8GB),
I keep all my images on cards till I have uploaded them at home and backed up on an independent drive or drives,
Not sure how much ram these iPads would have as an average image would be 10-15MB,

I would also like to run some image software as well
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The iPad 2 is being sold in the 16GB variety, and The New iPad is in 16,32,64GB ranges..

Looks like the iPad would do most of what you want it to do, now as far as applications go, you'd have to peruse the offerings in the App Store and see if something like Photoshop Elements or others might do the work for you with photo editing..

Lastly, definitely visit an Apple store to play around with the iPad before you do decide to purchase one just make sure you know what the limitations are..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Take a look at the latest issue of MacWorld Magazine. (August 2012) Their lead article is titled "iPad vs. Mac". Several authors chime in and state their findings. I think you'll find it an interesting and informative read.
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Sounds like the iPad may be a good option
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Will try and get one today,
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
anny

anny is on a distinguished road

it is hard to decide whether the iPad is a smart purchase or not. People who are interested in buying this product are advised to have a personal look at the hardware and software features and then make an uniformed decision.
more detail i get here: iPad vs Laptop
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Good info,
being unable to load other software maybe a stumbling block although iPhoto may be OK for viewing if I can load the codec for my raw files
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
gamal

gamal is an unknown at this point

i thought this when i first bought my ipad.. but I stopped using the ipad from 6 months and I am using my laptop now..
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamal View Post
i thought this when i first bought my ipad.. but I stopped using the ipad from 6 months and I am using my laptop now..
What made you change back to the laptop?

I guess my situation is somewhat dissimilar,
My laptop is windose and the other operation systems will be an iMac and iPad,
Was trying to keep all systems Mac but would be unable to pony-up for all three Apples,
I thought if I can get away without a laptop, I would give it to my grandson who lives in a windose only home and just use an iPad when away from the iMac
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I think for those folks who have a MacBook Pro or Air, an iPad may be redundant. I sold my MacBook a while back and replaced it with a 3rd generation iPad with 4G. But I also have a Mid 2011 iMac in my home office which I use for all our work. The iPad is great when we're away from home and need internet access. I even started using the Verizon free hot spot feature with our iPad. Not the greatest up and down speeds, but works well enough when we are out of range of WiFi.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I have a 15in MBP and iPad2. For file creation or work of any kind the MBP is far and away superior.

But, for consumption, web browsing, reading etc the iPad gets all the love. I use it about ten times as much as my MBP, but it isn't a replacement for it IMO.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Amazing how each post contributes a lot more info,
My plan is starting to come together, tks to those contributors, that has made the decision making a whole lot easier,
The plan ATM,
Get iMac,
Get iPad, (going to be a good "toy" in any case
Get a little Mac laptop if I need one, have noticed there are very slim, small, and compact laptops in the Mac range, and, IMHO, not as price prohibitive as they used to be,
I had a look at changing to Mac a long time ago but then prices were a lot higher, now the gap is closing,
Regards,
Gary
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

I bought an 11 inch refurbished MacBook air when the new MacBook Airs came out. Everyone told me I would stop using the iPad. What I found is if I am sitting desk creating content I would use the MacBook air. If I am anywhere else, or mainly consuming content - I pull out the iPad. Just like Razormac.

I'm posting on the iPad - and the dictation function is quite good. I don't have to type as much.

Thirdly - battery life is far and away superior on the iPad. I travel a lot. For standard tasks like email web browsing etc. I'd rather use iPad while traveling so that my battery lasts longer. I'm not always near an outlet. Plus you can get all kinds of external USB batteries to help out the iPad if you really need it. I've found that the iPad easily lasts 10 hours if you turn down the brightness. At best the Air lasts around five hours. Usually less when the screen is turned up or the keyboard backlight is used.

For photography - the resolution of the iPad is also much better than any of the Airs. I bought Air Display so I could use the iPad as a second display. Not great for active content but works well for picture viewing as well as document viewing.
http://avatron.com/apps/air-display/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad facetime wont work? | Wifi Symbol gone »