New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

What percentage of battery should you start charging your iPad 3?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SUPERMAPPLEMAN

SUPERMAPPLEMAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Late 2009

Hi all,

I would just like to know when is it the best time to start charging your iPad 3 after use, should I wait maybe till it gets down to 10% before charging it up?

As I want to make sure my battery stay's healthy.

Thanks in advance.

Ed.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I've always let my devices get the point where they warn me which I use as an indication to charge. So I let my iPhone get to the 20% warning and charge if I'm home. If I'm out and can't charge it, I use it as need be and charge it when I get the chance..

On my iPad 2, I charge when I get the 10% charge, but I've sometimes run it further down and then charged it.

You want to try to draw the battery down to near zero and then allow it to charge up to 100%, that will ensure that the battery is going to be fine..not allowing it to go through it's full discharge/charge cycle will cause the calibration to go off a little bit and also makes the battery lethargic and incapable of holding a charge properly..

So counter to the notion that leaving it plugged in when not in use, it doesn't make it so that the battery is NOT used at all and better..

So enjoy your iPad until you get the warning and then charge up..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
SUPERMAPPLEMAN

SUPERMAPPLEMAN is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Late 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
I've always let my devices get the point where they warn me which I use as an indication to charge. So I let my iPhone get to the 20% warning and charge if I'm home. If I'm out and can't charge it, I use it as need be and charge it when I get the chance..

On my iPad 2, I charge when I get the 10% charge, but I've sometimes run it further down and then charged it.

You want to try to draw the battery down to near zero and then allow it to charge up to 100%, that will ensure that the battery is going to be fine..not allowing it to go through it's full discharge/charge cycle will cause the calibration to go off a little bit and also makes the battery lethargic and incapable of holding a charge properly..

So counter to the notion that leaving it plugged in when not in use, it doesn't make it so that the battery is NOT used at all and better..

So enjoy your iPad until you get the warning and then charge up..
Thanks you for your post, it was very interesting to read. I will follow what you have said, and see how it goes.

I suppose if I treat it right it will treat me right.

Thanks again.

Ed.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The third generation iPad has a larger and greater capacity battery than the older iPads, therefore it takes longer to charge. Also, the folks who test these things at MacWorld Magazine and elsewhere all have stated that even when the third generation iPad indicates its charge is at 100%, you should let it remain on the charger for another hour or so.

I have found that if you have the 4G model and leave LTE on all the time, it will eat your battery power like a starved Lion with 20 LBS of beef steak before him. I charge mine when it gets down to about 40% or so. Letting it get down to around 10% means an overnight charge at the very least.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I do agree with Raz0rEdge and do that with my 1st Gen iPad.

Chscag does have a good point about the iPad 3 though. It takes WAY longer to charge and that can be an issue if it's not charged when you need it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unique iPad Dock! | usernames and passwords »