New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad and wireless keyboard won't pair

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Gren

Gren is on a distinguished road

My wireless keyboard does not appear as a device on my new iPad, do I have to unpair it from my iMac for it to be recognised?
I was advised to disable bluetooth but my mac won't allow this as I won't be able to control it if I do.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You have to unpair it from the mac, even if the mac is switched off

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Gren

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You have to unpair it from the mac, even if the mac is switched off
Thanks, next question - how do I do that?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Actually, not necessary to unpair (at least with the Apple Wireless Keyboard) as long as the keyboard isn't within range of the iMac.
I use my Apple wireless keyboard on both, but only connect to my iPad with it when traveling.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Gren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Actually, not necessary to unpair (at least with the Apple Wireless Keyboard) as long as the keyboard isn't within range of the iMac.
I use my Apple wireless keyboard on both, but only connect to my iPad with it when traveling.
Thanks, I tried switching off the mac and the keyboard then switching the keyboard on but it still doesn't appear as a device in the Bluetooth menu on the ipad.
I guess I'll stick to the onscreen keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Try turning off the keyboard while the iMac is off, then turning the keyboard back on.

EDIT: Just reread your post and saw that you had tried it already.

Haven't a clue why it doesn't work . . . Works fine on mine. I use my keyboard on both my Mac Mini and my iPad without issue

EDIT2: I am typing this on my wieless keyboard, connected to my iPad2 via Bluetooth. I tried connecting to it while the Mini was on (right next to my chair) but wouldnt even though the iPad saw both the keyboard and Mini. I then shutdown the Mini and the iPad connected without issue. No paring or unpairing required.

EDIT3: I turned off Bluetooth on my iPad and restarted the Mac Mini and the keyboard reconnected automatically. Didn't have to turn it off and on again.

Maybe hardware or OS differences? I'm running IOS 5 on an iPad2, 10.7 on a Mac Mini (2009 model) and using an Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What wireless keyboard do you have? It's very possible that it isn't supported by the iPad. We've been working on the assumption that you have an Apple wireless keyboard.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gren

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
What wireless keyboard do you have? It's very possible that it isn't supported by the iPad. We've been working on the assumption that you have an Apple wireless keyboard.
Correct, an apple wireless keyboard, one year old.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Try unplugging the iMac after shutting it down. If that doesn't work I suggest carrying keyboard and iPad to a distant location and pairing them there.

QUOTE Thanks
Gren

Quote:
Try unplugging the iMac after shutting it down. If that doesn't work I suggest carrying keyboard and iPad to a distant location and pairing them there.
Tried unplugging to no avail, not sure how far is a distant location but thanks for your help anyway.

I wonder why this is such an inexact science.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

To help you out, the range for Bluetooth devices is about 10 metres so find somewhere about that far for the purposes of testing.

Razor brings up a good point - what model of iPad are you using and what OS version?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Gren

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
To help you out, the range for Bluetooth devices is about 10 metres so find somewhere about that far for the purposes of testing.

Razor brings up a good point - what model of iPad are you using and what OS version?
A brand new 3rd gen 64 gb iPad and OS X 10.7.4 on the mac
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Very strange!

If I turn on Bluetooth on my iPad in a public location I see tons of Bluetooth devices. Very odd you can't even see your keyboard.
Might be worth a trip to the Apple Store if there is one nearby.

QUOTE Thanks
Gren

Quote:
Very strange!

If I turn on Bluetooth on my iPad in a public location I see tons of Bluetooth devices. Very odd you can't even see your keyboard.
Might be worth a trip to the Apple Store if there is one nearby.
Thanks, I have an introductory workshop booked for next week at my local store. I'll ask them.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Let us know what they say . . . curious now.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dropped my Ipad 2 and the screen is acting weird | Want help buying cables to connect ipad to projector »