New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad back up without laptop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

carlbenh

carlbenh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Intel Core i5 iPhone 4s iPad the 3rd

Long question simplified..what can you do you do if don't want to own a pc but want to back up your photos (get them onto a sd card or USB stick) and possibly have you iTunes library handy?
I would of thought time capsule but from what I understand it won't do either, or some other type of portable hard drive.
Seems like something Apple would have out already. I've got a MacBook Pro and it's turning out to be a $1500 USB stick to keep my photos on lol.
Kind of confusing why there isn't some type of Time Capsule like thing with an app for your photos/iTunes library?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you dont own a PC, then Apple wants you to use iCloud and iTunes in the cloud to sync

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

To expand on louishen's answer: iCloud won't store all your photos in the cloud. The Photostream feature will hold up to 1000 of them but new ones bump old ones off without a Mac or PC to sync to.

iCloud will do a GREAT job of syncing photos to your computer but iCloud won't store your photos permanently.

Another option you might consider is Flickr Pro -- $25/year and you're allowed to store all your photos, no matter how many, at full resolution (which of course means you can download them to a USB stick -- but you still end up needing a computer of some kind of course).

There are many third-party apps that can be used to "beam" photos onto NAS storage devices, but I haven't explored the option.
QUOTE Thanks
carlbenh

Great thanks for the help. Guess I'll be keeping my MacBook for a while though I'm going to look into the Flicker idea.
Now I'm wondering if iCloud will keep them in there permanently if you buy extra storage?
Or possibly a Macmini without a screen? Does anyone have any thought on that? Seems like it would work pretty good.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenh View Post
Now I'm wondering if iCloud will keep them in there permanently if you buy extra storage?
As long as you keep paying every year for the extra storage, yes.

Quote:
Or possibly a Macmini without a screen? Does anyone have any thought on that? Seems like it would work pretty good.
The "server" version of OS X has a "lights out" mode that allows for remote administration. I'm not sure the "client" version of OS X can reliably work this way.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

There's an App - PhotoSync that I use for wireless syncing back to my Mac but it can sync to many online and local services - like FTP/SFTP on a NAS drive etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
carlbenh

Thanks guys. Going to look into these options.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Unable to access Mac Extreme Base Station | Dropped my Ipad 2 and the screen is acting weird »