Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   1st Gen IOS question (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/275530-1st-gen-ios-question.html)

Ned B 05-24-2012 02:50 PM

1st Gen IOS question
 
Hi folks,
I travel for a living, and am looking to get a used 1st gen iPad (64Gig with 3G) to carry with me. Will I be able to use the latest IOS and get iCloud or will I need to get at least an iPad2? (would love a new iPad, but that's not going to happen anytime soon) Budget says the used 1st gen, not if I can't use the latest IOS however.

Also, I'm not too worried about the 3G, I 'only' need connectivity at home or at hotels, not while I'm on the road or at work, but if the 3g Dongle comes included with it (presuming this is a verizon refurb/return unit), I'll keep the hot spot and just not turn it on.

pigoo3 05-24-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned B (Post 1408174)
Hi folks,
I travel for a living, and am looking to get a used 1st gen iPad (64Gig with 3G) to carry with me. Will I be able to use the latest IOS and get iCloud or will I need to get at least an iPad2? (would love a new iPad, but that's not going to happen anytime soon) Budget says the used 1st gen, not if I can't use the latest IOS however.

From the online Apple Store:

- A 1st gen. iPad 64gig + 3G will cost you $549.
- A 2nd gen. iPad 32gig + 3G will cost you $529.

So unless you absolutely NEED 64gig of storage...I would go with the 32gig + 3G iPad2.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Of course if you're talking a used iPad (1st or 2nd gen.) from e-Bay or Craig's List...you may be able to save some $$$ versus the prices I listed above.

louishen 05-24-2012 02:54 PM

Looks like you are OK

iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit, as pigoo says, consider the ipad 2

Ned B 05-24-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pigoo3 (Post 1408175)
From the online Apple Store:

- A 1st gen. iPad 64gig + 3G will cost you $549.
- A 2nd gen. iPad 32gig + 3G will cost you $529.

So unless you absolutely NEED 64gig of storage...I would go with the 32gig + 3G iPad2.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Of course if you're talking a used iPad (1st or 2nd gen.) from e-Bay or Craig's List...you may be able to save some $$$ versus the prices I listed above.

Thanks Nick,
I'm looking at a refurb from a reseller, so I'm looking at about 1/2 of those prices for the 1st gen 64G. also I'm a photographer, and plan on using this as a mobile portfolio (zenfolio, etc...) as well as typical travel internet usage... email, surfing etc...

currently I carry a cheap windoze laptop and an ipod touch, but most nights I just squint at the ipod so I'm looking at the ipad so I can upgrade and streamline what I haul around with me.

I would Love to get a 32G new Ipad of course ( who wouldn't?) will have to earn that one (opening my own studio soon, and will take that out of profits down the road).


Quote:

Originally Posted by louishen (Post 1408176)
Looks like you are OK

iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit, as pigoo says, consider the ipad 2

I'll consider an ipad2 of course. I'm mainly looking at the higher memory ipad1 because of image storage.

the 3G aspect is immaterial, where I use it most, I have wifi available.


also I just realized this should be over in the IOS section, not hardware... can admin move the thread?

pigoo3 05-24-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned B (Post 1408181)
the 3G aspect is immaterial, where I use it most, I have wifi available.

If 3G is immaterial...why the heck did you mention it in your original posting (BEFORE you edited it)??:Confused:

The prices I quoted above were for iPads with 3G...because I thought it was a "must have" for you! Without 3G...iPad prices will be lower.:) There's usually about a $130 upcharge for the 3G capabilities.

Personally I would only buy a refurbished iPad from Apple...but if you're ok with the reseller you're looking at...go for it.:) Just remember..."refurbished" from Apple will be like brand new (new battery, 12 month Apple warranty, and cosmetically like new). I'm not sure other resellers offer this.

- Nick

chas_m 05-24-2012 07:55 PM

I can verify that at least as of today, the original iPad runs the latest version of iOS and works beautifully with iCloud.

Whether it will be able to run iOS 6 (whenever that comes out) is another question, but iCloud and iOS 5 are a lock.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.