The right side of D.C.
    Non Intel based I-Mac
    Thumbdrive(USB) to iPad2?
    I purchased an iPad2 for my wife a couple weeks ago, and I have it all loaded up with apps. However, I would like to move some photo's from the Terrabyte drive that's on our home computer, as well as some text files and it sure would be much easier if I could use a USB thumbdrive instead of the whole sync/iTunes routine. I've seen an adapter that takes the 32pin connector on one side and accepts a USB drive on the other, but I don't know if this will work on an iPad.(saw this at a GameShop) My concern is that the necessary drivers may not be present within the iPad OS.

Can anyone confirm or deny the existence of a third party device that allows one to pull/transfer files in and out of an iPad?

Lake Mary, Florida
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    The iPad doesn't really have a file manager. So, although you could conceivable connect a flash storage device of some sort, you have no native way of manipulating the files. iTunes handles this for you.

Another alternative you may wish to consider would be just using Dropbox.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    iPad != regular computer. Keeping that in mind will answer a lot of questions automatically for you. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you already know what the iPad can and can not do.

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thread Information