New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Did you get your new iPad yet?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Since today is the official release of the new iPad, let us know how you got it or what you are doing to pass the time!

If you were at retail store, let us know! How was the line? How were the people? How was the weather? Have any pictures?

Are you avoiding the lines and waiting for your pre-ordered iPad in the comforts of your home? Did you take off work? Are you watching movies while you wait? Are you having a iPad release party with family and/or house pets?

Discuss!
QUOTE Thanks
indychris

indychris will become famous soon enough

Working at home today. We have two showing up, one by FedEx and one by Brown. Neither has made its way here yet, but I have LOTS to keep me busy (you know, like posting on Mac Forums )!
QUOTE Thanks
Apple Extreme

Apple Extreme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: (Mid-2011) 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5 20GB RAM, (Mid-2012) 13" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5 4GB RAM

Picked mine up at Best Buy this morning at 9 am. There were about 10 people in line. Walked in, picked it up, paid for it and walked out the door. Very nice retina display, but I haven't come across many new features yet.

UPDATE:

My new iPad 3 has light coming in from around one of the edges as if the inner part of the iPad has separated from the outer frame. Very annoying. I think it's a defect so it's going back to the store. Wish me luck!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Extreme View Post
UPDATE:

My new iPad 3 has light coming in from around one of the edges as if the inner part of the iPad has separated from the outer frame. Very annoying. I think it's a defect so it's going back to the store. Wish me luck!
Apple has had this problem previously at the time of launch of the previous iPads (light bleeding thru):

Is your iPad 2 backlight bleeding? (video) -- Engadget
If Your iPad 2 Has Display Problems, DO NOT Return It. Here’s Why | Cult of Mac
iPad 2 Light Bleed and Yellowing And What You Can Do | TCGeeks
LG Pleads Guilty on iPad 2 Light 'Bleeding' Screens - Softpedia

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Apple Extreme

Mac Specs: (Mid-2011) 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5 20GB RAM, (Mid-2012) 13" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5 4GB RAM

Here is what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0350.jpg (53.9 KB, 154 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Here is what it looks like:
So other than the light bleeding issue...what can you say about the retina display vs. the previous iPad 1 & iPad 2 displays?

- Nick

p.s. If the light bleed issue is really bad...just return it...which I know is an unfortunate thing to have to do...and they may not have an immediate replacement to give you due to demand.

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
OneSmallStep

OneSmallStep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7/3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, OSX 10.7.2

My new iPad doesn't look like that, send yours back for a replacement.

The display is awesome and I can now use it in portrait orenentation without zooming all the time.
Coming from an iPad 1 it's. Revelation. So far I'm totally pleased with it.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute

I just got the iPad delivered from Fedex around noon!

I don't have classes today, so I was able to receive my mother's iPad for her and set it up. She probably doesn't want me to take the cellphone off, so I have to leave it on for now. But I definitely can't see any pixels, so I'm sure it's beautiful behind the cellophane.

When the FedEx guy handed it to me, he said "Another iPad!".
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWhat View Post

I don't have classes today, so I was able to receive my mother's iPad for her and set it up. She probably doesn't want me to take the cellphone off, so I have to leave it on for now. But I definitely can't see any pixels, so I'm sure it's beautiful behind the cellophane.
Well that stinks...maybe you can call your Mom...and tell her that the iPad has arrived...and that you would be more than happy to open it up & "set it up" for her!!!

I would love to hear your comments regarding the new retina display quality!

Quote:
When the FedEx guy handed it to me, he said "Another iPad!".
It would be interesting to see the back of the average delivery truck today...just to see how many iPad boxes there are!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Apple Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
So other than the light bleeding issue...what can you say about the retina display vs. the previous iPad 1 & iPad 2 displays?

- Nick

p.s. If the light bleed issue is really bad...just return it...which I know is an unfortunate thing to have to do...and they may not have an immediate replacement to give you due to demand.
I returned the iPad and received a replacement. So far, so good. The retina display is incredible. I had wallpaper on my iPad 2 which I transferred to the iPad 3. Now the wallpaper looks "pixelated" on the iPad 3 since the resolution is so much higher. I'll need to download some new wallpaper!
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Just arrived via FedEx. Need to get it loaded up.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Well that stinks...maybe you can call your Mom...and tell her that the iPad has arrived...and that you would be more than happy to open it up & "set it up" for her!!!

I would love to hear your comments regarding the new retina display quality!

It would be interesting to see the back of the average delivery truck today...just to see how many iPad boxes there are!

- Nick
She might want a protective cover. And I don't want to hear all tonight that her iPad had figure prints ALL OVER IT as she keeps cleaning. I'll never understand that.

The screen is really impressive looking, if I try to ignore the cellophane. I can't really get too descriptive, cause I don't know what apps that I'm looking at support retina display or not. But the stock apps and the home screen look flawless.

Quote:
I returned the iPad and received a replacement. So far, so good. The retina display is incredible. I had wallpaper on my iPad 2 which I transferred to the iPad 3. Now the wallpaper looks "pixelated" on the iPad 3 since the resolution is so much higher. I'll need to download some new wallpaper!
I was worried that you'd get back and they'd have none left. That's good to hear that you got another one quickly. I'm just glad Apple let us pre-order, so the retail stores wouldn't be a hassle for others.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
WOW...that's awesome! I'm surprised they had a replacement to give you. I would have thought almost every stores stock would have been sold out by now.

Thanks for the retina display info. I'm still deciding whether to get an iPad 3 ("New iPad")...or getting a refurbished iPad 2.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
She might want a protective cover. And I don't want to hear all tonight that her iPad had figure prints ALL OVER IT as she keeps cleaning. I'll never understand that..
Yes..certainly very difficult to avoid fingerprints with an iPad!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I had originally planned to give the business to a local Mac shop. I waited in the cold and wet (unnecessarily, as it turns out) for 45 minutes for them to open. Once we got inside they told us they didn't have any 32GB models, which disappointed me.

Some context before I go on: I live on Vancouver Island, not to be confused with the nearby City of Vancouver. The island and its largest city Victoria is the provincial capital, but it's a pretty small town by my standards (300,000 pop.). Despite this, we have LOADS of places that sell Macs and iOS stuff, so the "crowd" that wanted to get iPads today is well spread out around town.

Anyway, I had an insight that maybe the big US-owned "office supply" chains would get more shipment than the little Mac stores, so I drove to the nearby Staples where I walked in, asked, got and paid. For once, they lived up to their slogan "That was easy."

I'll give the local Mac-only dealers future business on a new case and other accessories that are frankly more profitable for them anyway. Staples probably netted $25 off today's near-$700 purchase.

I'm in the process of "restoring" the new iPad from my iPad 1 backup (got $250 for that, so really this new iPad only cost me $444 Canadian) so I can't comment on the machine itself much, but the unboxing was it's usual experience.

I really enjoyed my original iPad and am looking forward to using the new one later today. My original Apple cover for the iPad 1 fits this one (sorta), so I'm using that for protection temporarily until I decide on a proper case. I'm kind of thinking of the YourType Folio from Belkin ($100) since it has a (I'm told) good-quality tactile removable BT keyboard included, but I haven't decided yet.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iPad - What Are Your 4G Speeds On VZW and AT&T? | Does such thing exist ? »