Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   Hot backside! (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/269748-hot-backside.html)

Iwuguy 03-16-2012 02:09 AM

Hot backside!
 
So I just picked up my new iPad at Walmart, and I noticed the back is very hot. I am wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. I don't know if it's the new battery or the new graphics chip but it is definitely hotter than my iPad 2.

mrplow 03-16-2012 08:40 AM

Hot straight out of the box? Or have you been using it? Which apps?

The new graphics processor will run hotter than it's predecessor when pushed. It's been noted in a few reviews but none have expressed concern at it being overly hot.

Iwuguy 03-16-2012 11:54 AM

I plugged it in right off the bat, so it was doing my iCloud backup and the restoring of all of the apps. I wasn't actually running any apps.

It's the lower left side. Don't know if that is the location of the graphics chip or not...

mrplow 03-16-2012 11:59 AM

So it was processing the restore. I doubt it's too unusual. If it gets uncomfortable to hold then I'd think about taking it back

chas_m 03-16-2012 02:52 PM

I have heard reports that the larger battery and faster processor does heat up the new iPad more than its predecessor, so unless it's uncomfortably hot or shutting down to due to the heat I would expect this to be normal. I've also heard it said that that battery takes longer to charge than the previous model, being about 20 percent more capacity than the "old" one.

Iwuguy 03-16-2012 09:24 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am still a little worried. I have just been checking email and surfing the web for the last hour or so and this left side is getting pretty hot. Both the front and back are uncomfortably hot.

Anyone else experiencing this out there?

KoDorSean 03-16-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwuguy (Post 1383694)
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am still a little worried. I have just been checking email and surfing the web for the last hour or so and this left side is getting pretty hot. Both the front and back are uncomfortably hot.

Anyone else experiencing this out there?

My new iPad gets much hotter than my iPad 2 did. "Uncomfortably hot" is more of a a personal opinion. For me it's hot but not uncomfortably hot. Do you have a case for it yet? If not that may help. :)

fleurya 03-16-2012 11:20 PM

From just web browsing mine gets noticeably warm, but not hot or uncomfortable. But I am concerned about how hot it'll get in a case.

It'll be interesting to see how it gets under heavier load.

chas_m 03-17-2012 08:00 PM

I can't correct my previous post now, but I meant to say 70 percent more capacity on the battery.

Carolandham 03-21-2012 09:49 AM

I got my i3 last Friday and noticed right away the heat issue. It is significantly hotter thsn my old ipad. Kind of concerns me. Sometimes it is just uncomfrtable to hold.

pigoo3 03-21-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carolandham (Post 1385592)
I got my i3 last Friday and noticed right away the heat issue. It is significantly hotter thsn my old ipad. Kind of concerns me. Sometimes it is just uncomfrtable to hold.

Read this:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...ml#post1385186

The "New iPad" doesn't really get that warm (92.5F). Nothing to get concerned about!;)

- Nick

J0205 03-21-2012 01:06 PM

It seems like a lot of people are having this problem. Some possible causes have been found. Some say that the battery needs 'conditioning' i.e. draining until its dead and then recharging to 100% a few times. Also some others say that turning off auto-brightness and lowering it to around 70% helps. You could also try disabling iCloud. Try giving your battery a few cycles during the period of a week and see if it helps with the heat/charging issues. If it doesn't you can take it back to apple, you have 14 days from the day of purchase.

mrplow 03-21-2012 01:23 PM

It's not a 'problem' as such;
Apple responds to supposed iPad heat issues

Heat is a subjective thing, the same can be said of what you consider is uncomfortable.

Apple's statement says that the higher heat output is within tolerance for the design. That's not to say its within your tolerance. I'd suggest either return it, speak directly to Apple about it or get a case.

chas_m 03-22-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0205 (Post 1385658)
It seems like a lot of people are having this problem. Some possible causes have been found. Some say that the battery needs 'conditioning' i.e. draining until its dead and then recharging to 100% a few times. Also some others say that turning off auto-brightness and lowering it to around 70% helps. You could also try disabling iCloud. Try giving your battery a few cycles during the period of a week and see if it helps with the heat/charging issues. If it doesn't you can take it back to apple, you have 14 days from the day of purchase.

All but the last sentence of this is nonsense that will have absolutely zero impact.

odenkun 03-23-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwuguy (Post 1383273)
So I just picked up my new iPad at Walmart, and I noticed the back is very hot. I am wondering if anybody else is experiencing the same thing. I don't know if it's the new battery or the new graphics chip but it is definitely hotter than my iPad 2.

Just bought the new iPad yesterday from a local AT&T store (only two left, 16GB model). After running an hour or so, I noticed the same. From the portrait position, left lower gets very hot. I went to the store today (3/23) and asked about it. They told me many complaints have been reported. So you are not the only one; I am, at least, one of them :D

It is still less than 2-day old so I will keep my eyes on further information.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.