New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Buy new ipad or refurbished ipad 2?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Oistrakh

Oistrakh is an unknown at this point

Hey guys,

I've been waiting to get an ipad for a while (mostly for reviewing lectures from Grad school and maybe some music videos, news, magazine, web browsing on the side). However, I'm still deciding to get the new ipad or a refurbished ipad 2. I don't really care about the screen resolution that much (my vision isn't that great, anyways) and I really like the fact that the ipad 2 is lighter and thinner than the ipad 3. I could get a refurbished ipad 2 32GB for $450 from the apple store or a new ipad 32GB for $600. I just don't know if the ipad 3 will be worth it for my tasks. What do you guys think?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

If the new features in the "new iPad" don't excite you...then definitely get a refurbished iPad 2. I'm considering doing the same thing.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
70jeff

70jeff is on a distinguished road

I have an unopened refurb iPad2 in my hands but I'm still debating returning it for a new iPad.

For $150 more I'm not sure if the screen is worth it, all other new features don't matter to me.

Regarding the new screen, will my current movies and videos look that much better? is it like regular definition compared to high definition?
QUOTE Thanks
kribensis12

kribensis12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 Ghz Duo Core with 8GB of RAM and a 500GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Drive

I went ahead and bought a refurb iPad 2. I really, really, really wanted the Retina display. I'm in college and money isn't abounding everywhere and it seemed like a better idea to get the cheaper one. The iPad 2 is still one of the best tablets in the market and you should feel no shame for buying it because of price point.
QUOTE Thanks
70jeff

70jeff is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the ipad2 is a good deal right now.

I would really like to see the new screen beside the old screen to see the difference but have to return the one I have before the new one ships to get a refund.

I don't know much about it, can you or anyone tell me if every video will look that much better on the new ipad? I thought you would need better quality videos to make it look better??
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70jeff View Post
Yeah, the ipad2 is a good deal right now.

I would really like to see the new screen beside the old screen to see the difference but have to return the one I have before the new one ships to get a refund.

I don't know much about it, can you or anyone tell me if every video will look that much better on the new ipad? I thought you would need better quality videos to make it look better??
Hardly anyone can tell you about the iPad's new display because hardly anyone outside of Apple have actually seen it. Those that have say it's pretty amazing, and that there's more than just "double the resolution" going on there.

I would think that if you have a video at 1024x768 they would look more or less the same in terms of resolution, though the new iPad's screen will probably still make those colours look better/sharper.

But if you have let's say a 1080p file (1920x1080), it's obviously going to look a LOT better on the new iPad than the 2011 iPad, since it won't be being downscaled.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I still have a 1st gen iPad, so I am going to make the upgrade - mainly because the performance is suffering. My wife has an iPad 2, which is still very fast and a little lighter - if I had that, I wouldn't upgrade.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Oistrakh

Oistrakh is an unknown at this point

Apparently, this new ipad weighs closer to the ipad 1 than the ipad 2. Will there be a perceptible difference in weight between the new ipad and the ipad 2?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh View Post
Apparently, this new ipad weighs closer to the ipad 1 than the ipad 2. Will there be a perceptible difference in weight between the new ipad and the ipad 2?
From what I've read, yes apparently. However, if you have or had an iPad 1 and had no issue with its weight, it shouldn't be an issue.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iPad 1 – 712.60g
iPad 2 – 600.60g
iPad 3 – 650g (660g for the 4G model)

So, as any search engine could have told you, the new iPad is approximately halfway between the weight of the original and the second-generation iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I had the iPad 1 and upgraded to the iPad 2 in large part because it was lighter and thinner. Yes, it isn't that much weight, but I use my iPad constantly, so to me it was worth the change.

Going to the iPad 3 (or new iPad) is a harder call to make. Adding back a little of the weight to gain better resoloution, honestly, I am very tempted, but the iPad 2 is no slouch with its screen. Haven't made up my mind yet . . . I may wait for the next cycle.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
jeff70hem

jeff70hem is on a distinguished road

Returned the refurbished 2 and went with a new iPad, now I have regrets. Screen is nice but not worth it the extra $. HD is nice but on a big screen tv.

Size of apps and hd videos will be too big for this device, you will need more storage which is why they will have this on the next iPad, nice selling strategy
QUOTE Thanks
ellenmac

ellenmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod

I bought the new iPad yesterday, as an older person any thing I can see clearer all the better. The
writing in books and such is so much clearer. I have come from the original iPad. The screen is wonderful,
and the extra ram is needed. I hope this iPad will serve me as well as the first one did. My young grandson
will get that one.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmac View Post
I hope this iPad will serve me as well as the first one did. My young grandson will get that one.
Somebodies a VERY lucky "camper"...and has a GREAT granddad!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ellenmac

ellenmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac , iPad , MBP, iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Somebodies a VERY lucky "camper"...and has a GREAT granddad!!!

- Nick
Grand ma.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Should I leave ipad on charge all the time? | Signing up for iPad 3G/4G connection »