New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad without PC or Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road

I purchased my elderly mother in iPad for Christmas. She does not own a PC/Mac so it is a standalone unit.

She has a number of documentaries on DVD and I see from google there are many software available that I could rip her DVD's on my MacBook Pro to iPad format. But it appears to transfer these files the obvious option is via iTunes which is not ideal, what is my best option to transfer photos/movie files to her iPad from my laptop?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

why cant you use itunes?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Syncing with iOS devices is truly done only through iTunes..you can do a lot without connecting these devices to a computer with iOS 5..but you are going to be restricted in the things you can get onto the device with what's available through the iTunes or App Store on the device..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

You could share a dropbox account with your grandmother. Rip the video files to your computer and she can access them with the dropbox app on her iPad. I'm pretty sure it requires the host computer to be on and running in order for her to access the video files, so you may have an obstacle there to figure out.
But it does not require iTunes or for her to use a computer...

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
LindsayM

LindsayM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
why cant you use itunes?
Never said I couldn't, but what is she going to sync it with? Effectively its a stand alone unit.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Dropbox isnt really gonna work - depending on how many DVDs there are, there goes the space.

If you dont want to rip and then sync (through iTunes) the DVDs, then she cant really, easily, get them on a stand-alone iPad.

Depending on how many DVDs there are, and how big her iPad is, you could rip them all, sync them once, and be done with it.

Or, she can watch them on her TV via DVD player.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Dropbox isnt really gonna work - depending on how many DVDs there are, there goes the space.
What is the storage limit for Dropbox? I didn't think about a limit...

Quote:
Depending on how many DVDs there are, and how big her iPad is, you could rip them all, sync them once, and be done with it.
This is (so far) the best bet, if Grandma's DVDs exceed Dropbox's limit. ...which they probably will.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
daffy67

daffy67 is on a distinguished road

I use AVPlayer HD and wirelessly transfer from pc to Ipad, plus it plays almost any media format on the IPad
AVPlayerHD for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Go the Mac!!
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

My wife would far prefer to be iPad-only, but I need to sync her iPad periodically to her account on our iMac in order to upload family photo batches for her, and to make a local backup.

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad Wallpapers | Weird, new iPad charging issue »