New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 2 camera connection kit

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ehgit

ehgit is on a distinguished road

My boss has charged me with the task of figuring out how to get this thing to work as advertised. We have A LOT of iPads (all with the latest iOS) and one of the functions we need it to perform is sharing pictures between devices. We purchased the kit and loaded .JPEG format photos onto a microSD card, plugged in the adapter and.....nothing. It works on the iPhone. Occasionally it works using the USB adapter plugged directly into a camera. I read here: iPad: Using the iPad Camera Connection Kit that: "Only device-created files are supported. If you copy files from another device or manually edit or rename files on the digital camera or SD card, the iPad may be unable to detect and import these images or videos."

Now am I correct in my interpretation that this means only pics taken on the iPad can be transferred to the SD card and to be viewed/uploaded onto another iPad? I'm not sure because then wouldn't the Ipad at least recognize that it has been connected? Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

*edit* Sorry all, this: I read here-- iPad: Using the iPad Camera Connection Kit --was supposed to be a link
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

When it talks about 'device' it means the camera. A specific folder structure is used and to be sure the pics can be read the stucture should be adhered to.

However, that's not your biggest issue. Your main issue is that you can't copy from an iPad to SD only from SD to iPad

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Well, go get the kit, try it, if it does not do what you want, take it back.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
ehgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
When it talks about 'device' it means the camera. A specific folder structure is used and to be sure the pics can be read the stucture should be adhered to.

However, that's not your biggest issue. Your main issue is that you can't copy from an iPad to SD only from SD to iPad
Thanks for the quick reply! I know I can't copy to the SD, don't want to, I just need to be able to transfer photos from the SD to multiple devices (iPads). What is the specific folder structure you are referring to, so that I can use the SD adapter portion of the kit? Again, thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehgit View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I know I can't copy to the SD, don't want to, I just need to be able to transfer photos from the SD to multiple devices (iPads). What is the specific folder structure you are referring to, so that I can use the SD adapter portion of the kit? Again, thank you.

Sorry, I confused what was being said. Nevermind what I typed before. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to upload to multiple iOS devices with the camera connection kit. If it's not working exchange it. Must be a defective unit.

Doug

Edit: I think this is where the confusion came in:
Quote:
Now am I correct in my interpretation that this means only pics taken on the iPad can be transferred to the SD card and to be viewed/uploaded onto another iPad?
No. When they say device, they are referring to a camera. They mean that you can not modify the original photo in any way because it might not be recognized anymore. So you can only transfer from the camera directly or from the SD card directly.
QUOTE Thanks
ehgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Sorry, I confused what was being said. Nevermind what I typed before. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to upload to multiple iOS devices with the camera connection kit. If it's not working exchange it. Must be a defective unit.

Doug

Edit: I think this is where the confusion came in:

No. When they say device, they are referring to a camera. They mean that you can not modify the original photo in any way because it might not be recognized anymore. So you can only transfer from the camera directly or from the SD card directly.
Yeah, I believe the problem occurred because I was trying to copy pics to an iPad from an SD card that had pics copied to it from another SD card. This changes the format slightly making the iPad unable to display them. when I plug in the original SD card using the adapter, it works fine. Now I just need to find a way that I can copy images from one SD to another without changing the raw files. Perhaps SD to SD instead of SD to computer to SD? Again, much appreciation for the replies!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Picture issues connecting iPad to TV | Sound issue iPad2 »