Thumbs down iPad 2 camera connection kit
    My boss has charged me with the task of figuring out how to get this thing to work as advertised. We have A LOT of iPads (all with the latest iOS) and one of the functions we need it to perform is sharing pictures between devices. We purchased the kit and loaded .JPEG format photos onto a microSD card, plugged in the adapter and.....nothing. It works on the iPhone. Occasionally it works using the USB adapter plugged directly into a camera. I read here: iPad: Using the iPad Camera Connection Kit that: "Only device-created files are supported. If you copy files from another device or manually edit or rename files on the digital camera or SD card, the iPad may be unable to detect and import these images or videos."

Now am I correct in my interpretation that this means only pics taken on the iPad can be transferred to the SD card and to be viewed/uploaded onto another iPad? I'm not sure because then wouldn't the Ipad at least recognize that it has been connected? Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

*edit* Sorry all, this: I read here-- iPad: Using the iPad Camera Connection Kit --was supposed to be a link

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    When it talks about 'device' it means the camera. A specific folder structure is used and to be sure the pics can be read the stucture should be adhered to.

However, that's not your biggest issue. Your main issue is that you can't copy from an iPad to SD only from SD to iPad
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Well, go get the kit, try it, if it does not do what you want, take it back.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    When it talks about 'device' it means the camera. A specific folder structure is used and to be sure the pics can be read the stucture should be adhered to.

However, that's not your biggest issue. Your main issue is that you can't copy from an iPad to SD only from SD to iPad
    Thanks for the quick reply! I know I can't copy to the SD, don't want to, I just need to be able to transfer photos from the SD to multiple devices (iPads). What is the specific folder structure you are referring to, so that I can use the SD adapter portion of the kit? Again, thank you.

Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by ehgit View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply! I know I can't copy to the SD, don't want to, I just need to be able to transfer photos from the SD to multiple devices (iPads). What is the specific folder structure you are referring to, so that I can use the SD adapter portion of the kit? Again, thank you.

Sorry, I confused what was being said. Nevermind what I typed before. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to upload to multiple iOS devices with the camera connection kit. If it's not working exchange it. Must be a defective unit.

Doug

Edit: I think this is where the confusion came in:
    Now am I correct in my interpretation that this means only pics taken on the iPad can be transferred to the SD card and to be viewed/uploaded onto another iPad?
    No. When they say device, they are referring to a camera. They mean that you can not modify the original photo in any way because it might not be recognized anymore. So you can only transfer from the camera directly or from the SD card directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    Sorry, I confused what was being said. Nevermind what I typed before. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to upload to multiple iOS devices with the camera connection kit. If it's not working exchange it. Must be a defective unit.

Doug

Edit: I think this is where the confusion came in:

No. When they say device, they are referring to a camera. They mean that you can not modify the original photo in any way because it might not be recognized anymore. So you can only transfer from the camera directly or from the SD card directly.
    Yeah, I believe the problem occurred because I was trying to copy pics to an iPad from an SD card that had pics copied to it from another SD card. This changes the format slightly making the iPad unable to display them. when I plug in the original SD card using the adapter, it works fine. Now I just need to find a way that I can copy images from one SD to another without changing the raw files. Perhaps SD to SD instead of SD to computer to SD? Again, much appreciation for the replies!

Thread Information