New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

How do I highlight text in a PDF comic?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

AlienBZ

AlienBZ is on a distinguished road

I created a comic book using comic life deluxe on my MacBook pro, saved it as a PDF, and synced this comic to my iPad. I have the iPad 2. I tried looking up how to highlight text and add my own notes to text in a book titled iPad for dummies, I tried doing what that book tells me to do b/c I wish to highlight a passage in a speech balloon on one of the pages of this comic book that I created and add a note about this text in the balloon - but the instructions from the dummies book doesn't work.

how do I highlight text in this comic speech balloon and add my note about the text?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It's very possible that, despite being represented as text, the content on the page was actually saved as a picture. In other words, despite looking like text, it's actually a picture of the text. For example, take a screenshot of my post - it looks like text but it's actually a visual representation of text.

The easiest way to test this is with Preview - try to highlight the text there to see if it works. I say this because it could very well be text but the application on the iPad may not see it that way.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
The easiest way to test this is with Preview - try to highlight the text there to see if it works. I say this because it could very well be text but the application on the iPad may not see it that way.

How to I test with preview on my ipad?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

You don't -- you move the file to your Mac and test it there.
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You don't -- you move the file to your Mac and test it there.
Ok, I tested it on my mac - now what?

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Did it work? Could you highlight the text in the comic?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
Did it work? Could you highlight the text in the comic?
Not exactly, I didn't try this yet, but I will. But I did add a note about the text in preview on my Mac as you can see in my screenshot.

Did you want me to try highlighting the text on that comic page or to do what I just did as shown in the screenshot in case I cannot highlight that text?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I have no idea if the comments will sync over - I'll leave that up to you to test. As for the highlighting, yes, try it on the Mac. See if it works and if it doesn't, it's probably because it's a picture and not text.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
I have no idea if the comments will sync over - I'll leave that up to you to test. As for the highlighting, yes, try it on the Mac. See if it works and if it doesn't, it's probably because it's a picture and not text.

Here are some more screenies of what I did to test it.

What do you think of these? I mean, what I did to test, how I did it to test for highlighting?

Regarding the synching it over, I'm going to try this next, and I'll let you know.

Edit - the note didn't synch over. But I found this PDF notes for ipad Am thinking about getting it but don't know if it's free or not - but I think it is free, isn't it?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

So, no then. The PDF created by ComicDeluxe (or whatever you used) saves the result as an image, not selectable text.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBZ View Post
But I found this PDF notes for ipad Am thinking about getting it but don't know if it's free or not - but I think it is free, isn't it?

Ummmmm

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Ummmmm

Ok, so it's free. I tried d/l it onto my iPad thru my Mac but I think it disappeared somewhere either on my Mac or the iPad cuz I can't find it anywhere in the usual places, not even in downloads. Need I just try to d/l it to my iPad without going thru the Mac? I'm going to try this and I'll let you know.

edit - it d/l onto my iPad all right last night, but it stayed invisible until I went back to apple's website where I d/l it just now on my pad's safari and as soon as I touched install with my finger, it appeared and began installing on my iPad.

Now I'm going to try it out.

Edit 2 - I got the 320 version of PDF noted which has bugs. It says to update it to 321 so I tried going back to apple's website and updating it, but it woun't let me update - the update 321 link is grayed out - what do I do?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

I can't make heads or tails of your post, really.

1. You can't download iPad apps to your Mac.
2. The iTunes Store cannot download anything BUT the latest version.
3. As it clearly says on the page, the latest version is 2.3.1 not 321, so I can only assume a typo or a momentary hit of dyslexia there (happens to us all).
4. Also as is (un)clearly stated in the description, there is a free ad-supported version and a paid ad-free version.
QUOTE Thanks
AlienBZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I can't make heads or tails of your post, really.

1. You can't download iPad apps to your Mac.
2. The iTunes Store cannot download anything BUT the latest version.
3. As it clearly says on the page, the latest version is 2.3.1 not 321, so I can only assume a typo or a momentary hit of dyslexia there (happens to us all).
4. Also as is (un)clearly stated in the description, there is a free ad-supported version and a paid ad-free version.
Well, it's advertised as v2.3.1, on the download page, but my iPad only downloads v2.3.0, unless apple is misrepresenting the truth, hiding the truth, or even lying about it, somehow my iPad only downloads v2.3.0 - what gives?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBZ View Post
Well, it's advertised as v2.3.1, on the download page, but my iPad only downloads v2.3.0, unless apple is misrepresenting the truth, hiding the truth, or even lying about it, somehow my iPad only downloads v2.3.0 - what gives?
I don't think Apple is thought this morning, "Lets lie about that iPad App, the one the M-F member AlienBZ wants to dl. That will stuff up his day"

Point being i can't see Apple going out of there way to lie about things and more so that the MAS is just a container to hold all the Apps Developers submit to Apple. Its up to the Developer to put in the right .v number not Apple's problem.
Email the Developers and see what they have to say.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cool ads are making me want to buy an iPad 2 | ipad - send photo to network folder/address »