New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad buyer undecided...Please Help!!!

Thread Closed

gino_76ph

gino_76ph can only hope to improve

Hi there!

I'm currently looking for a tablet and something that has at least 7" and not more than 10" screen. i thought a 10" one is big (because of the things i'll be mostly be doing with it) so i have carefully been considering the iPad 2 (or 3).

I'll be mainly surfing the net, watch Youtube videos, facebook, twitter, viewing .pdf or .doc files, odd photos & uploading them, listening to music, playing games, using DLNA to watch movies to my TV.

My problem with the iPad 2 are several. namely the inability to send any files via bluetooth, lack of SD/microSD card support, a single mono speaker, a lacklustre front-facing & rear-facing camera amongst others.

I am more familiar with the Android OS and not iOS so please help me out here with my questions:

1. Like what a Macbook pro can do...can the iPad send any file (say a photo) to any 3rd-party device via bluetooth?

2. can i view .pdf or.doc (say for example a train or plane ticket or an Ebay invoice) files and have the file printed to a wireless or wired printer? and how please?

3. i usually take photos with an SD card. i'm aware the iPad 2 has no SD card slot but is there an adaptor to connect to my iPad? and how do i upload those files? will the ipad detect it automatically?

4. Android is all about customisations and multitasking. can the iPad 2 do that as well? and can you give me exampleas please in relation to say multi-finger functions?

please advice.

Thanks.
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

why are you rehashing a closed thread?

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Must we go through this again? I believe it was well-established in your last thread that the iPad wasn't a good fit.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

1. Via Bluetooth - Not that I'm aware of, but you can always download a free app such as drop box and use that.

2. Yes you can view pdfs and docs, and the simplest way (although probably) not the cheapest way to print them is use an AirPrint compatible printer. Apparently there are ways to convert any wireless printer into an AirPrint capable printer, but I've not looked into it.

3. I use the SD adaptor to upload pictures to my iPad. You plug the adaptor in, and slide in the card and the iPad will recognise it, yes.

4. The iPad has multitouch gestures, if that's what you mean. You can pinch to close to get to the home screen, and use a four finger swipe to switch between apps. And yes, the iPad can multitask - that's what iOS devices are renowned for!

I've answered the questions to the best of my knowledge, so there may be some gaps, but I believe them to be largely correct!

EDIT: I didn't realise we had been down this path already - apologies, mods.

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
gino_76ph

gino_76ph can only hope to improve

Past is past and i'm sorry if i was rude before. all i want is some help here and i believe in people here to be a very good source of info.

Re: bluetooth question i believe Dropbox is not entirely an app that let's you transfer files via bluetooth. i think it just stores a data. would there be anything else in the App Store that i don't know yet?

Re: printing a PDF or DOC file...without using propreitary Airprint is there another way i can connect a 3rd-party printer via say a 3rd-party cable?

Re: Multitouch & multitasking...I've seen a Macbook Pro function in terms of finger swiping function. can an iPad do that as well?

Also i want to ask about deleting files. with Android they have this file manager folder. and in any app you can delete any file on-the-fly. with the latest iOS version are we able to do that now as well?
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

you are going to get the same answers as before. drop it. either buy the iPad, or don't.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Already been discussed. Thread is closed.
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

LOL - fascinating. I believe all your answers can be found here iPad 2...to buy or not to buy Good luck.

Thread Closed

« Is there such a thing as a 3G upgrade? | Selling iPad »