Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iPad Hardware and Accessories (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/)
-   -   Should i go iPad? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ipad-hardware-accessories/262415-should-i-go-ipad.html)

19birel 01-03-2012 07:57 PM

Should i go iPad?

Hello everyone, for a while now I have been considering picking up a used ipad (most likely trading a spare PC for it) but am starting to wonder what main advantages there are to having one. I already have the 4S which is basically the ipad but smaller so i don't know what I would really gain. I hear it's good for surfing the web but I have my macbook for that, and as far as watching movies go I either watch them on my macbook or on my G4 desktop. And all the books that I read are hard copies. I am also almost always with my laptop or phone so i just don't know what i would miss out on. The main thing that I would consider getting one for is photography since i believe there are adapters that let you connect an SD car to the ipad but would that really be worth it? Is there anything I can benefit from getting one as a highschool student, and photographer? I want to get one but I really don't think i need one. Thanks for your advice.

19birel 01-04-2012 07:37 PM

Thanks, that seems to help a bit. I think I'll try and see if I can get one and if I don't use it I can always sell it and buy a used MBP.

chscag 01-04-2012 10:39 PM

You might want to wait a bit before buying an iPad. Version 3 should appear sometime this Spring. Keep on the lookout for rumors in our rumors forum. Although they're rumors, they're usually from a reliable source.

microsnook 01-05-2012 01:00 AM

Im stuck in the same boat as you. I want one but can't necessarily justify a need for one. And I just got my MBP and love it:)

Andres87 01-05-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1350286)
You might want to wait a bit before buying an iPad. Version 3 should appear sometime this Spring. Keep on the lookout for rumors in our rumors forum. Although they're rumors, they're usually from a reliable source.

this! just wait a little longer and get the new one :)

bobmielke 01-05-2012 06:45 PM

I'm a photographer. When I bought my original iPad I was curious how it would benefit my photography and other interests. I was so completely swept away by the iPad's versatility that I sold my custom desktop PC and two Windows based laptops. I now own a 21.5" iMac with 16Gig of RAM. I use Photoshop CS5 and a slew of plug-in applications to process my photos. Once finished I upload my finished pictures to SmugMug, a professional site with unlimited storage and no limit to the size of the individual photos. I also have over 100 music CDs uploaded to Amazon's Cloud Player for free. I have 38 books stored at Amazon.com that are easily readable on my iPad.

Cloud storage allows me to use my iPad as a source tool to retrieve photos, music, books and movies to a device that has 2-3 times the battery life of any laptop, providing quality resolution and the ability to flip the screen to show viewers, including photographic customers and email them copies in seconds.

I make purchases for all this media on the iPad at any wi-fi hotspot. There are too many to mention in Portland, OR where I live. We're know as Silicon Forest.

Chuckoir 01-05-2012 07:07 PM

How did you get 64gig of ram in your iMac?!

bobmielke 01-05-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuckoir (Post 1350755)
How did you get 64gig of ram in your iMac?!

My mistake, it should have read 16gig not 64gig. I removed the original 2 gig and had a local Mac store install 4 4gig modules.