New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 1 update

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Socalfem

Socalfem is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06 GHZ intel core 2 duo OSx 10.7.2iMac G5 10.4.11 , ipad

I have a old iMac that I can't update past 10.4.11, can i take my iPad to the apple store and have them update it ? And if so is it free ?

Thanks !
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I suspect they would update it for free. Actually, if no one's looking, you could probably plug it in to on of their display Macs and do it yourself for free!
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Wouldn't iTunes get all tetchy and try to wipe the iPad before the update, due to it only being able to sync with one PC at a time?!

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Socalfem

Hmmmm
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

I don't know though, Apple may have some sort of bypass that allows them to update devices willy-nilly.

If your nearest store isn't too far away, I'd give them a shout!

QUOTE Thanks
Socalfem

Good idea....I really need a new computer...lol....any comments on my other posts ?
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Ref the Darwin Login issue - I have no idea, sorry - Way over my head that one!

QUOTE Thanks
Socalfem

Ok thanks, yea that actually started when I plugged my iPad into iMac and wanted to see what update I could possibly do
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
Wouldn't iTunes get all tetchy and try to wipe the iPad before the update, due to it only being able to sync with one PC at a time?!
Yes, but it's a non-issue. Backup your iPad at home. Then update at the Apple Store. It will warn you that you'll lose your data since you are syncing with a different machine, but proceed anyway. Losing the data make no difference. Once the iOS update is complete, go back home and restore from the backup you made. Your apps and data will be restore, but are restored onto the new iOS firmware.

Technically, the same thing happens when you update at home on your own machine. iTunes backs up the iPad. It then wipes the data & installs the new firmware. Once the update is complete, it restores from the backup it made at the beginning. No matter where you update, the data is going to get wiped from the iPad for a brief period.
QUOTE Thanks
Socalfem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
Yes, but it's a non-issue. Backup your iPad at home. Then update at the Apple Store. It will warn you that you'll lose your data since you are syncing with a different machine, but proceed anyway. Losing the data make no difference. Once the iOS update is complete, go back home and restore from the backup you made. Your apps and data will be restore, but are restored onto the new iOS firmware.

Technically, the same thing happens when you update at home on your own machine. iTunes backs up the iPad. It then wipes the data & installs the new firmware. Once the update is complete, it restores from the backup it made at the beginning. No matter where you update, the data is going to get wiped from the iPad for a brief period.
I called the apple store and they said that the iPad should be backed up from my home computer
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalfem View Post
I called the apple store and they said that the iPad should be backed up from my home computer
Yes. That's exactly what Jaygray said. Second sentence of his post, in fact.
QUOTE Thanks
Socalfem

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Yes. That's exactly what Jaygray said. Second sentence of his post, in fact.
Then if I backup at home then it doesn't matter what the guy at apple store said because it would be the same thing as long as I back up first....does that make sense.....LOL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wi-Fi / 3G Service | IPad 1 and wireless keyboard? »