New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Best Case for IPAD 2 for Mobility Impaired?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bothynights

bothynights is an unknown at this point

Hi Folks,

I have a relative who uses a walker and has extremely limited mobility - needs help getting up, sitting, etc.

I have been trying to figure out the best case out there for him. My biggest concern is that he will drop it (he can have trouble grasping objects) - that it gets knocked off a table, etc.. I have read that the Otterbox for IPad 2 is not a good product (unlike the one for iPad 1).

My Googling has so far found me this podfob for iPad For the moment, it seems like a neck strap may be the best option.

Just wondering if anyone else has any options they would mind sharing.

Thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

My wife and I do quite a bit of volunteer work at nursing homes, and I have seen folks there who exhibit the same limitations that your relative has. The best thing would be a neck strap, however, that can be bulky for him with an iPad. Consider also that if he uses a walker that he's likely bent over somewhat while using it. But I don't believe you'll find a case or any kind of cover that will give adequate protection for the iPad in the event it's dropped.

Also, take into consideration if his hands are mobile enough to even use an iPad. For example: Do his hands shake? Can he grip a pen to write with?

Perhaps an iPhone 4S with SIRI would be a better choice?
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

This product is being advertised on this very Forum.

It comes with a hand strap and a desk mount by the looks of it, may be worth looking into perhaps?

Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I'm not sure if this would help, but griffin created he AirStrap (Review: Griffin AirStrap Case For iPad) - I'm pretty sure they made it for the iPad 2 as well. The thick rubber is easier to grip but it also has a hand strap on the back.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Saw this but have no actual experience with it I use a netbook case from Logic. iPAD Shock Proof Case | Emson
QUOTE Thanks
bothynights

bothynights is an unknown at this point

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you so much for the replies - we have not moved on buying a case yet, but will be in the next week or so - I'll keep folks posted.

Again, really appreciate the help. Take care,
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

Some great and compassionate responses. I have a co-worker whose wife has severe arthritis and after hearing me and other office mates rave about our new iPad's he would like to get one for his wife so she's connected to the outside world when he's at work or out of the house.

To make sure an iPad is actually the right device I'm stopping by their house over the holidays with my iPad (housed in my new Saddleback leather case) to see if she can use/handle it.

Again thanks for the advice and leads on these accessories.

Tom
USAF Retired
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mov files | Ghost Armor »