Question iPad vs. iPad 2: College student, which one is right for me?
    Hi,

I'm a grad student and I am looking into buying an iPad, but I can't decide which generation.

I plan on using it to take notes in class, open files, and browse the web. I may watch videos/movies every once in a while, but I plan on it being for educational purposes mostly. I won't run many apps.

So is the iPad 2 worth the price just for a faster processor? The camera doesn't really intrigue me, or the thinner body.

I have looked at the specs for both, and have looked at comparisons, but it's not really helping my decision.

Thanks for your input!

Specs:
    13" MBP 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM v10.7.2
    Either generation works really if you're looking for something to use in school. You could probably get a refurbished 1st gen. much cheaper than the 2nd gen. if money is an object.
     13" Macbook Pro (Late 2009, OS X Lion)
     32 GB iPod Touch (3rd gen)
     8 GB iPod Nano (blue, 3rd gen)

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    If you haven't had an iPad 2 - then the iPad 1 will be just fine. I have the iPad 1 and never felt compelled to upgrade - but I will admit that the faster processor is definitely nice for certain applications.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    The iPad 2 is faster - but as Brian says, you won't notice unless you are running next to an iPad 1. (The iPad 1 is plenty fast for everything out there currently - although some of the new games are taking advantage of the iPad 2 hardware) For note taking and movie watching the iPad 1 would be fine.

Although the cameras aren't very good on the iPad 2 - consider you could use it for video chat, as well as taking pictures to add to class notes (or video too) - instead of having to take it on a separate device and load it on afterwards.

Thanks for the responses! Based on some research and what I plan to use it for, I think I have decided on the first gen.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a trusted refurb?
    The Apple store is out of stock of the 16 GB WiFi. 3G is not necessary, and the extra memory isn't really either, so I'm hoping to find the most budget-friendly price.

Thanks for your help again!

Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    I'd have to imagine that ebay is stocked full of pretty decently priced iPad 1's by now? The 3 is around the corner (supposedly) and the 2 has been out for a good while. If you're looking for budget friendly - why not a used one?

That's a good point... I'm just weary about a used one and it's "actual" condition. I think would feel more comfortable with a refurb.

And I'm not a big fan of ebay... mainly because I don't know how to use it effectively.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Just keep checking the Apple refurb pages -- Original iPads pop up there periodically.

Thread Information