New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Find MAC Address on Stolen Ipad

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wycliffe

Wycliffe is on a distinguished road

My iPad was stolen from me, and my campus IT director told me that if I find the MAC address, he could locate it if it is still on the college's wireless network.

I tried calling apple but they said they couldn't give me the information, so then I unencrypted the iPad 2 backup on my computer to see if the MAC address was stored there.

Is there any way to get the MAC address from the serial number? I know it is hex code; does it represent anything?

W.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

I wonder if you could find it by looking at the history on your wireless router?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Depending on the router and how it's set up, the MAC address may have been stored in a list of recent clients. It may not be obvious which device it is in that list but you can record all the addresses down and compare them against other devices in the home.

You didn't happen to setup "Find my iPad" did you?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Wycliffe

I did look in the history of my wireless router, but for some reasons it only stores devices for about an hour, and by the time I realized it was stolen it was too late.

Vansmith, I did set up Find my iPad, but by the time I realized it was gone I couldn't locate it. I think whoever took it must have restored it immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

For an hour? Are you sure about that? That seems pointless to me. There's probably a logfile you can access somewhere?
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Are you sure that the hex code you say you have - isn't actually the MAC Address itself?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

What make and model is your router? I agree with BrianLachoreVPI - your router likely logs a list of connected devices for more than an hour.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Wycliffe

My router at home is a time capsule. Where should I look for the log?

I really appreciate the help, guys thanks.

BrianLachoreVPI: I don't have the hex code. I was just wondering if there was some way to derive it from the serial number or something.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

As per this thread:

Open AirPort Utility, click Manual Setup
Clear the Advanced (gear) icon
Click the Statistics tab below the icons
Click Logs and Statistics
Logs, Wireless Clients and DHCP Clients are displayed

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

It shouldn't be hard to figure out which device is your iPad - especially if it has a name associated with it. Worst case - just look up the MAC address of all your devices that connect to the TC and by process of elimination you'll have your iPad's MAC address.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

If it doesn't have the hostname (sometimes devices don't seem to get registered this way), compared the MAC addresses in that list to the devices on your network. You can get the MAC address for your network hardware with Network Utility (/Applications/Utilities) in OS X.

Having never used an Apple router (in any form), I have no idea how devices are registered (especially Apple devices) so it might be quite easy to differentiate the devices in the logs.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision

Wycliffe I hope you get your Ipad back! Good info here and this reminds me to set up my find my ipad app soon. You always wonder if those Ipads on CL are stolen ones.
Doesn't Apple have a database for you to give them your serial number so they can check for stolen ones for sale or being fixed?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
Doesn't Apple have a database for you to give them your serial number so they can check for stolen ones for sale or being fixed?
I don't think so. A couple of years ago there were a few stories in various newspapers about the amount of stolen Apple gear. I seem to remember a few writers asking why this wasn't being done. Particularly for devices such as iPhone and iPod.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« unresponsive touchscreen | Buy iPad in Canada »