New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Ipad 2...Help??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Becky82

Becky82 is on a distinguished road

I bought my Ipad 2 on Sunday but just opened it today and my friend told me about this cool website that you can see that production date etc by the serial#. The website is powerbookmedic.com the weird thing is it's saying this about my Ipad 2. Production Year: 2011
Production Week: 28 (July)
Production Number: 30893
So does that mean it was made in July that seems weird since it's now November and it even came with Ios 5. Just worried and thinking about returning it for a new Ipad 2 since I bought it less than a week ago. Let me know what you think. Help!! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Becky82

I bought my Ipad 2 on Sunday but just opened it today and my friend told me about this cool website that you can see that production date etc by the serial#. The website is powerbookmedic.com the weird thing is it's saying this about my Ipad 2. Production Year: 2011
So does that mean it was made in July that seems weird since it's now November and it even came with Ios 5. Just worried and thinking about returning it for a new Ipad 2 since I bought it less than a week ago. Let me know what you think. Help!! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky82 View Post
1) First of all the production date is an interpretation of the serial number, rather than the actual date from Apple's database
2) There is no way your iPad2 could have been produced in July and come with IOS 5 installed if you bought it new. I can guarantee they don't unbox, update and rebox (unless you bought yours refurbished which you don't indicate)
3) What difference would it make anyway, unless you bought expecting new and instead received a refurb unit

If I were you, I would call or email the supplier (Best Buy, Apple, Amazon etc) whoever you purchased it from and have them confirm that you in fact purchased and new in box iPad. If it is then enjoy your iPad and don't worry about it.
If not, they either owe you a discount or a return and refund

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
BTW: Multiple postings are frowned upon by the mods. I posted to the other thread with a response to your question

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Merged Duplicate threads. Please only post one thread per question.
QUOTE Thanks
Becky82

I bought it from Best Buy brand new on Sunday so just a few days ago not even a week. I am only concerned because I bought brand new and I expect to get a brand new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
1) First of all the production date is an interpretation of the serial number, rather than the actual date from Apple's database
2) There is no way your iPad2 could have been produced in July and come with IOS 5 installed if you bought it new. I can guarantee they don't unbox, update and rebox (unless you bought yours refurbished which you don't indicate)
3) What difference would it make anyway, unless you bought expecting new and instead received a refurb unit

If I were you, I would call or email the supplier (Best Buy, Apple, Amazon etc) whoever you purchased it from and have them confirm that you in fact purchased and new in box iPad. If it is then enjoy your iPad and don't worry about it.
If not, they either owe you a discount or a return and refund
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

If the box was sealed, then it's fair to assume that it is brand new. Just because it was manufactured in July, doesn't mean it left Apple (or wherever they go after being made in China) until after iOS5 was released. I.e it was assembled in July and was assigned a serial number then, it then sat around at Apple (or wherever) for 3-4 months, and was loaded up with iOS5, boxed, then shipped to BestBuy.

If there's nothing wrong with it and it works, I'm failing to see what the issue is here.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
I bought it from Best Buy brand new on Sunday so just a few days ago not even a week. I am only concerned because I bought brand new and I expect to get a brand new one.
Then all is well.

Brand new means you are the first owner and it is unused, not that it was just produced.
As Chuckoir mentioned, the most likely thing is it started through the process (perhaps as early as July--though I would doubt that, still suspect the date correlation off of the serial number isn't accurate) was completed for packout and shipment around the time of IOS 5 release (Aug-Sep) and has spent the remainder of time in transit and Best Buy inventory.

I wouldn't worry about it.

QUOTE Thanks
Becky82

Thanks. Best Buy was out of them but they got a truck and put it on hold for me and I picked it up the same day so if anything maybe it was sitting at Apple for a few months. I was just not sure if that is normal.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Thanks. Best Buy was out of them but they got a truck and put it on hold for me and I picked it up the same day so if anything maybe it was sitting at Apple for a few months. I was just not sure if that is normal.
Highly unlikely that it sat around Apple for months.

When I got my iPad2 the total elapsed time from the factory to me was under a week (and I followed the progress every step of the way via FEDEX tracking--yeah, I know, but I was anxious to get it in my hot little hands).

You have a brand new iPad2; enjoy it. I love mine!

QUOTE Thanks
Becky82

I am thinking the same thing. Maybe that website is just wrong..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Highly unlikely that it sat around Apple for months.

When I got my iPad2 the total elapsed time from the factory to me was under a week (and I followed the progress every step of the way via FEDEX tracking--yeah, I know, but I was anxious to get it in my hot little hands).

You have a brand new iPad2; enjoy it. I love mine!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Correction, Razormac: highly LIKELY that it sat around (in China) for a few months.

Apple tries to keep up with demand by stockpiling whenever they can. It sounds to me like the *logic board* was made in July but the unit was not fully assembled until much closer to the date the OP bought it (this would be completely normal). Impressing the OS on it is one of the VERY LAST steps in the production process.

In short, unless she has any evidence that she's not the first owner, this is a total non-issue and nothing at all out of the ordinary.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Correction, Razormac: highly LIKELY that it sat around (in China) for a few months.

Apple tries to keep up with demand by stockpiling whenever they can. It sounds to me like the *logic board* was made in July but the unit was not fully assembled until much closer to the date the OP bought it (this would be completely normal). Impressing the OS on it is one of the VERY LAST steps in the production process.

In short, unless she has any evidence that she's not the first owner, this is a total non-issue and nothing at all out of the ordinary.
Not really a correction, more of an expansion.

My first thought was exactly what you laid out that the date given was driven by manufacture of a key component or subassembly, with final assembly and OS install relatively recently.
My statement was intended to be, and I still believe it, that it is highly unlikely that the fully assembled and boxed iPad has been sitting in a warehouse in China for months. Especially given the continued strong demand.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Agreed, and I should have been clearer on that. Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipad2 wifi antenna help! | Put iPhone 4 replacement camera in iPad 2? »