New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

If I buy an iPad 2 now, which model will hold its resale value the most?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MetalA

MetalA is an unknown at this point

I wanna get an iPad 2 but am conscious we are mid-end cycle and iPad 3 may come out in a few months. So I wanna buy iPad 2 and then sell when retina display iPad comes out.

Anyway, I've heard that 16gb ones will hold their resale value the most, not sure why, apologies if I'm just being dumb here but could someone explain if that's the case, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalA View Post

Anyway, I've heard that 16gb ones will hold their resale value the most, not sure why, apologies if I'm just being dumb here but could someone explain if that's the case, thanks.
My opinion is...either the 32gig WiFi or the 32gig version with WiFi+3G.

Definitely not the 16gig WiFi version because it's the bottom of the line (least storage & no 3G)...and not the top-end 64gig WiFi or 64gig with WiFi+3G...it's just the most expensive...and will depreciate the quickest.

I mostly base this on my gut feeling, the prices I see on Craig's List, and the refurbished model prices I see at the Apple Store.

- Nick

p.s. FYI...for the iPad 1 16gig with WiFi...originally sold for $499...when it was at the Apple retail store (refurbished)...it was $349...about a 30% decrease in price.

Here's the iPad 1 64gig WiFi+3G for $499 (31% off original price):

Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB - Black - AT&T (first generation) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Both of these models are about 30% off their original price...thus there's the question...is someone more concerned about the % depreciation loss or the "real dollars" loss?

Both are about 30% off...but:

- with the iPad 1 16gig Wifi...price decreased by about $150 bucks...with a residual value of about $350.
- with the iPad 1 64gig WiFi+3G...price decreased by $230 bucks...with a residual value of $499.

Just depends how you look at it.

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

I would say the 3G versions used are more desirable IMO

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Usually the 3G version of either model will hold it's value better.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
TabletRevlution

TabletRevlution is on a distinguished road

A little advice: computers will never have good resale value.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabletRevlution View Post
A little advice: computers will never have good resale value.
A little more advice: A bit of research will tell you that Apple devices in general hold a pretty decent resale value. 3 year old MacBooks still bring a good price, while a 3 year old Dell is basically worthless.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

It's technology produced in the millions of unit and distributed world wide... none of them will hold much value if you keep it long enough. Buy what works best for you and enjoy it. It's an iPad, not an investment.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
TabletRevlution

TabletRevlution is on a distinguished road

Looking at OP, it is rumored that an "updated" version of the iPad2 will come in march. iPad3 will come later in the year.

If you plan on selling your iPad2 so soon, why not by a used one?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Original iPad auto dim doesn't work | Landscape & Portrait wallpaper images »