New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

sleep timer for iPad2? How do I do it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Cindy62707

Cindy62707 is on a distinguished road

I tried searching this forum for this question but only found 2 posts both over a year old asking this same question. One didn't get any answer and the other one had one reply of "there is none".

Surely this $700 iPad has the ability to set a timer to put it to sleep automatically so that it doesn't run all night long when I fall asleep watching it. I used my iPod touch in this manner to have something to focus on so that I can fall asleep without having my tinnitus keep me awake for hours. Now I have the iPad to replace the iPod touch but can't find a way to make it go to sleep automatically by setting a timer. I have searched every setting I could but still can't find how to do this. Can someone help me?

thank you,
Cindy
QUOTE Thanks
Murgy91

Murgy91 is on a distinguished road

There must be an app somewhere? Sadly I don't know of a setting...
QUOTE Thanks
mknightretke

mknightretke is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GiB RAM, 80 GiB hard drive, Intel GMA 950, SuperDrive

Unfortunately, that would have to be a setting within the app itself. Check to see if the app you're using to watch video has a sleep timer, or maybe an auto-lock setting. There is no single app you can install to put the entire iPad to sleep after, say, half an hour. Third-party iOS apps just don't have that kind of root-level access.

On the iPhone, now, you could just set a timer in the Clock app and select "When Timer Ends: Go to Sleep." But this won't be possible until, and unless, Apple decides to make a Clock app for iPad.

(Seriously, why is there no Clock app?)

1.83 GHz Mac Mini (80 GiB) | iPad 2 Wi-Fi (16 GiB)
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Awaken works great with the iPod app for music. I use it with audio books. There is nothing that will work with videos that I'm aware of. After the video ends, it should auto lock after whatever you have your inactive time set for.

Why the Clock app was not put on the iPad (and still hasn't been) - who knows - Apple has been mum about it and it's been asked for since about the 1st day the iPad was released.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Cindy62707

Cindy62707 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknightretke View Post
Unfortunately, that would have to be a setting within the app itself. Check to see if the app you're using to watch video has a sleep timer, or maybe an auto-lock setting. There is no single app you can install to put the entire iPad to sleep after, say, half an hour. Third-party iOS apps just don't have that kind of root-level access.
I'm not using an "app" to watch videos on it, I'm just using whatever the iPad came with to watch video. You can only play, pause, and fastforward or reverse and of course click "done" when you want to quit it.

This is totally unbeliveable! If Apple has it on the iPod touch it shouldn't be a problem for them to also put it on the iPad.

I'll keep watching this posting though, maybe someone will find something or Apple will eventually offer an update for the problem.

Thanks,
Cindy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« error msg on iPad 2 during sync | I don't mean to diss the iPad 2 but ...... »