New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad1 - iOS5 update?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

So has anyone risked upgrading their iPad1 to iOS5 yet?

Does it still work? Is it now as slow as an arthritic snail or does it still run at the same pace as before?

So far I have experience with:

1. iPhone3G and iOS4 = ruined (slower than a snail)

2. A new iPod Touch and iOS5 = very good indeed.

Am I likely to get 2 out of 3 when I go for iPad1 and iOS5?

What do people think please?

1. Go for it without delay?
2. Wait until others have stopped clogging up the bandwidth and then try?
3. Avoid this update like the plague?

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

I have an iPad1 and upgraded last week to iOS 5.

No hassle and all is well, the iPad is slightly more responsive as well.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Thanks for that

Did it move all your icons around?

The iPod didn't but there is a lot more stuff on the iPad
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Nope, all stayed in place ... did not loose anything either.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I upgraded my iPad 1 to iOS 5, and it's fine.

It didn't keep all my icons in their respective folders though, which was slightly annoying, but other than that, it's fine.
QUOTE Thanks
pam14160

pam14160 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" AL 2.93 GHz Intel C2D - SSD, HDD external, OS X 10.7, 4 GB Ram

No problems here. Pretty happy so far.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Risked? No not at all a Risk. Works great. Like one here said, it seems maybe a bit snappier if anything. Works great.

My 3G as long as I restart once in a while, while not as fast as with IOS 3, it's very useable.

I did it the hour it was released and do not regret it one bit.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnCL

JohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of lightJohnCL is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: -->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
I upgraded my iPad 1 to iOS 5, and it's fine.

It didn't keep all my icons in their respective folders though, which was slightly annoying, but other than that, it's fine.
Did you restore from a backup? If so, it should have come back exactly as you left it before the upgrade. If you set it up as new the icons would be all over and no longer grouped.

2.4GHz 13" rMBP 256gb | 2.5GHz Mac Mini w/ FusionDrive | Mac Mini Server 2.53GHz | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 32GB Verizon iPhone 5S | iPad 32GB Verizon LTE | iPad mini 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | TV1 | TV3
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Haven't had time to upgrade my iPad yet.

First thing I really noticed on my 3GS today - when using the Maps to route - it gave me 3 routes to choose from instead of just "it's" way. Now that's cool.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Mine upgraded just fine and it does feel a little snappier no icon rearrangement but I am not using folders.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Am using folders here. After the update and the restore the installer did from the backup, everything was there even in the folders. I do remember some extra dupes of some apps outside the folders in the last screen of apps. I just zapped them and all still works.

Also the few documents I had imported to the iPad from dropbox for Pages were gone. All the Numbers and other docs were there though as well as music and pics and movies.

I just used iCloud and got the Pages docs back.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

My iPad (first gen) that the GF now uses is running great on iOS 5. No issues, and I can honestly say it might be faster than it was ith iOS 4.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

While there appears to be a general issue with iWork documents synced to iCloud (bug that's got to be worked out -- can delete the iWork files!) that's affecting some users, generally speaking the iOS 5 upgrade on our 32GB iPad 1 went completely without a hitch. I am loving the improved browser speed.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
While there appears to be a general issue with iWork documents synced to iCloud (bug that's got to be worked out -- can delete the iWork files!) that's affecting some users, generally speaking the iOS 5 upgrade on our 32GB iPad 1 went completely without a hitch. I am loving the improved browser speed.
Chas, IOS5 is great here on my iPad1 16 GB also. Safari is very fast.

What is that iCloud bug with iWork Docs? I think I ran into it today also. I had some Numbers and Pages docs there and I went to open them on the iPad and they were gone from iCloud. Is that what you are referring to? I had to re-upload them to iCloud then they came back on the iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Well, it upgraded successfully.

Generally speaking, it seems faster now than before.

Unfortunately, the Backup and Restore part did not go well. It appeared to backup and restore, but all I got back was the basic settings, the Safari shortcuts I had saved to the Homescreen and the wallpaper.

All Apps, Music, Movies, Pictures, etc. were gone. I had to put everything back manually. Still not got it back to how I want it to be.

So I have an iPod which upgraded to iOS5 pretty successfully, an iPhone which was ruined by its upgrade and an iPad which is a partial success.

At least two of the devices work better with the upgrade than before and I suppose the manual restore is not that serious
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad contacts don't work for FaceTime and iMessage. | Adobe alternative for the iPad. »