New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Need advice/help on best way to setup wifes new iPad2 in our house.


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
mdbat

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2011
Location: Here
Posts: 15
mdbat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 6,2 / iMac 17" 2009, iPad, iPad2, iPhone 4

mdbat is offline
I am giving my wife an iPad2 tomorrow. She does not have an iTunes account. I of course have an iTunes account as I have just about every possible iDevice available.

I was wondering what the best way to set up her iPad would be. Is she going to have to buy all the apps that I have that she wants on her ipad? Should I setup a seperate user account for her on my computer so she has her own iTunes account?

I don't feel like buying all of my apps again so she can use have them on her iPad as well but if that is the rule then of course I will. I just thought I would defer to the experts on the most efficient way to setup her up without having to repurchase 1000's of songs and a lot off apps.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,647
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbat View Post
I am giving my wife an iPad2 tomorrow. She does not have an iTunes account. I of course have an iTunes account as I have just about every possible iDevice available.

I was wondering what the best way to set up her iPad would be. Is she going to have to buy all the apps that I have that she wants on her ipad? Should I setup a seperate user account for her on my computer so she has her own iTunes account?

I don't feel like buying all of my apps again so she can use have them on her iPad as well but if that is the rule then of course I will. I just thought I would defer to the experts on the most efficient way to setup her up without having to repurchase 1000's of songs and a lot off apps.

Thanks in advance.
Set up a seperate User account on your MBP, and then login as your wife and sync the iPad using your iTunes account.
This is what my wife and I do. She can download all the APPs you have previously purchased, but it keeps playlists and everything else seperate.

EDIT: This also means that when she eventually moves to her own MBP or MBA you can migrate her User account and all is good.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mdbat

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2011
Location: Here
Posts: 15
mdbat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 6,2 / iMac 17" 2009, iPad, iPad2, iPhone 4

mdbat is offline
Thanks for the reply! So I set up a new user account with her name on it but log into iTunes with my account and she can download all the of the apps I have purchased? Will her ipad need to be named the same as mine? Can she also sync my music? I really appreciate the help.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,647
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbat View Post
Thanks for the reply! So I set up a new user account with her name on it but log into iTunes with my account and she can download all the of the apps I have purchased? Will her ipad need to be named the same as mine? Can she also sync my music? I really appreciate the help.
No, give her iPad a different name. You will need to set iTunes library sharing if you want her to have access to your music.
Though, now with iCloud all music purchases will be freely downloadable to all the iDevices using your iTunes account.

My wife and I each have our own iPhone and iPad (all originally synced to one Mac, but different User Accounts). We share the single iTunes account and now have seperate computers (not required, but nice).

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
mdbat

 
Member Since: Mar 07, 2011
Location: Here
Posts: 15
mdbat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro 6,2 / iMac 17" 2009, iPad, iPad2, iPhone 4

mdbat is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
No, give her iPad a different name. You will need to set iTunes library sharing if you want her to have access to your music.
Though, now with iCloud all music purchases will be freely downloadable to all the iDevices using your iTunes account.

My wife and I each have our own iPhone and iPad (all originally synced to one Mac, but different User Accounts). We share the single iTunes account and now have seperate computers (not required, but nice).
You rock!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,647
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbat View Post
You rock!
You're welcome. Hope the wife enjoys her new iPad.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« No email notifications in notification center | iOS 5 and new apps »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Router has a short distance in my house Rocknoggin Internet, Networking, and Wireless 3 08-30-2010 09:59 AM
Raid 0 setup on partitioned HD on Mac Pro Wander Apple Desktops 0 11-03-2009 06:27 AM
tunes - Setup my iphone 3g apps under wife's log-in - want to move to my login? webnel iOS and Apps 1 01-05-2009 02:59 PM
Picked up a Netgear WGR614 tonight. Wow, was setup interesting. fiveightandten Internet, Networking, and Wireless 10 05-20-2007 11:30 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?