New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

I don't mean to diss the iPad 2 but ......

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

What does it do better than a netbook?
I bought an iPad 2 in white, 32GB with Wi-Fi but no 3G. With all the add-on bits that I have bought for it, the total cost is about 500. I have no problems with it and it does whatever I ask it to just as long as the proper App is installed.
But I ALSO have an Advent netbook. I can't remember the actual model number but just imagine a small, black laptop. It has been upgraded to 2 GB of RAM and has a 160 GB hard drive. With all the extra bits that I have bought for it the total cost of this netbook is about 230.
The thing is, I'm having difficulty deciding why the iPad was the MUST HAVE item at the start of the year. What does it do that makes it so superior to the netbook? In fact, with a proper keyboard and the ability to do all that the iPad does (mostly) was buying the iPad a complete waste of time and money?
So, could somebody please tell me the advantages of owning an iPad?
Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What does OSX do that Windows does not? What does your Mini do that a Dell PC does not?

I can make a long list but.....

If you want Windows and all the trouble maintaining it, then sell off the iPad 2 and keep your netbook.

An iPad was never billed as a Laptop replacement.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

Seems to me like someone is regretting their iPad 2 purchase, and is trying to justify not selling it.
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

For me: portability and instant on are #1. I mean the kind of portability where I can have the device with me anywhere in the house, yard, car, street. Can't do that with a notebook.

Immediate access to web, mail, and my collection of reference material like vehicle and house PDF manuals, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
What does it do better than a netbook?
If this is an important question to you...probably would have been a good idea to have asked it BEFORE purchasing an iPad.

Quote:
The thing is, I'm having difficulty deciding why the iPad was the MUST HAVE item at the start of the year. What does it do that makes it so superior to the netbook?
Let's put things in perspective. An iPad is NOT a MUST HAVE item. A computer, a cell phone, a big screen TV, an automobile, etc. are also not MUST HAVE items. Sure they make our life easier...but they're not must have items like food, water, clothing, and shelter.

As far as the iPad...it's a "gizmo", a gadget, a "neat" item...you CAN live without it. An iPad is NOT a computer/laptop replacement. A netbook is basically a light minimalist notebook...so an iPad is not a netbook or a laptop replacement...it's just a cool item to have if you got the extra $$$ laying around!

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Actually for me it's a very powerful tool. Great portability with to me a screen better than any small netbook I have owned and very powerful.

Like I said before, it's not a computer but it does everything most average and some above average people need on the road or away from home. If I wanted a smallish complete computer I would get a Macbook Air so I could have OSX instead of Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

I think a lot of the issue comes from buying a Wi Fi only model.

A friend also has a Wi Fi only model and he has told me he doesnt like it because he cant use it when he is out due to not being able to connect to Wi Fi unless he pays for a subscription service.

I think Wifi is free/more easily available (correct me if I am wrong) in the US which is why the Wifi only model is more suited to US users as in the UK we have to pay a subscription to use it Wifi and then can only use it at certain locations.

A netbook may be better for you as you can just buy a wifi dongle and then use it wherever you wish.

The iPad is a great device but shouldnt be confused with a computer.

If you are unsure about keeping the Ipad sell it and put it down to experience as I have done this before with things and agnosised over selling them.

During the time I was deciding whether to or not the price I would get has dropped and then when I have finally sold it I havent got as much money as I could have done.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I find my iPad to be great for portability and battery life and if I need something with
the ability to do a lot more then the Laptop comes into play not a netbook. Some find the Air to be better suited for their needs or wants but then thats the beauty of choice.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

It's a content consumption device for most people.

As for what it does better than your netbook? Hows the screen size, weight, and (most importantly) battery life? Then add in instant on/off, available software that all "just works" (vs the netbook where you probably have limited RAM and processor speed for all of the software that you theoretically could run), etc...

The iPad isn't a notebook/computer replacement, but with the addition of a bluetooth keyboard (which I do use if I have to do some major typing on mine) it gets one heck of a lot more use than my notebook did. I have a desktop machine (two in fact) for the heavy lifting. If I want to just peruse the 'net or watch a movie on Netflix, I usually grab my iPad. Even sold the notebook I owned. Just didn't use the thing anymore.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Hi again.
I think I may have been misunderstood. There is no way on God's green Earth that I'm selling the iPad 2. Nor do I regret for an instant buying it.
Demapples made 2 good points re portability and "Instant" ON. Valid points but I can't actually see where my netbook isn't as good. I can set it to start and have Windows working plus a connection to the internet within 5 seconds and with the netbook in a case over my shoulder, portability isn't really an issue.
OSXX mentioned battery life and that is one area where the iPad wins hands down. There's no denying that. My netbook lasts about 3.5 hours with a hi-power battery and that is usually enough for me. If I'm out and about taking pictures I just need to plug it into the ciggie lighter to charge the battery between shoots.
Dtravis7 mentions all the hassle that folk have with Windows and I'm guessing that he means stuff like viruses, malware etc but is it really that bad?
My netbook runs Windows XP Pro and I have a security/maintenance programme that I fixed up for myself a few years ago. Here's what it does.
It disconnects itself from the internet and then re-connects to get a clean start. It then goes to the Avast web site and downloads the latest Anti Virus definitions and then runs a full scan. When that has finished, the prog does a defrag. I do that once a week just as I finish using the Netbook 'cos the programme shuts the lappy down when it's finished.
So if doing a double click is "hassle" .... so be it.
Cheers,
Steve

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
The thing is, I'm having difficulty deciding why the iPad was the MUST HAVE item at the start of the year. What does it do that makes it so superior to the netbook? In fact, with a proper keyboard and the ability to do all that the iPad does (mostly) was buying the iPad a complete waste of time and money.
Quote:
I think I may have been misunderstood. There is no way on God's green Earth that I'm selling the iPad 2. Nor do I regret for an instant buying it.
I'm sorry "5tevie"...but if this is not a statement that sounds like "buyer's regret"...it's very very close to one!

- Nick

p.s. Great to hear that you would never sell your iPad! But it sure does sound like you have your doubts about purchasing it in the first place.

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

i bought my kids a $227 notebook. bought my wife a inch gateway and bought myself a ipad2 white 64gb. i haven't been able to use "their" ipad since may. and now my wife loves ios so much now she has the iphone 4s (convert from andriod). I bought it not as anything other than for flying.. i am a rather large man 6'1" 270lbs and i would never be able to watch a movie on a plane if it weren't for the ipad. I'm so fat the stupid tray table in front of me wont allow for a laptop to open fully. anyways enough about my big fat gut. since the purchase of the ipad my kids do homework on it. because everything in there classes is online they just do there homework in there email then when they get to school they have it right there. it is such and awsome tool. wish i had one. (thieving wife and kids)

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
i bought my kids a $227 notebook. bought my wife a inch gateway and bought myself a ipad2 white 64gb. i haven't been able to use "their" ipad since may. and now my wife loves ios so much now she has the iphone 4s (convert from andriod). I bought it not as anything other than for flying.. i am a rather large man 6'1" 270lbs and i would never be able to watch a movie on a plane if it weren't for the ipad. I'm so fat the stupid tray table in front of me wont allow for a laptop to open fully. anyways enough about my big fat gut. since the purchase of the ipad my kids do homework on it. because everything in there classes is online they just do there homework in there email then when they get to school they have it right there. it is such and awsome tool. wish i had one. (thieving wife and kids)
Steal it while they are sleeping.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustProofCorn View Post
Sounds like another purchase in your future happens to us all eventually.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
Sounds like another purchase in your future happens to us all eventually.
Yup im thinking iPad3. The stinkers wont even know i have it.. i will be hiding it under my pillow.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« sleep timer for iPad2? How do I do it? | Buying Movies from Apple and sharing between devices »