New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad 2---Is it just a glorified iPod Touch?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jrburnett23

jrburnett23 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13in, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, Mac OSX 10.7.1

First off, I love everything made by Apple; I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4, iPod Touch. However, I really want an iPad 2 but I just can't get myself to buy it. I already have a Nook, so I don't really need it for the eReader purposes and I already have the MacBook so I don't really need it for the computer purpose. I guess I just really want one because I love all Apple products. I went to the Apple Store to see if they could somehow talk me into getting one but her sales pitch just didn't convince me. She basically made it sound like a glorified iPod Touch.

Basically I just want your alls opinion on why I should get one or am I fine without having one? I just get seem to make up my mind.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrburnett23 View Post
She basically made it sound like a glorified iPod Touch.
You're certainly joining this discussion a bit on the late-side...this has been discussed many many times since the iPad 1 was released approx. 18 months ago!

Here are 5 threads to get you started:

iPad 2 - Is it just a fat iTouch?

How is the IPad Not just a larger Ipod Touch?

It's not a giant ipod touch!!!!!

15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad!

iPad will just be fad

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I like the iPad as a book reader 5x better than any other reader I have used. Love the screen. iPod touch is so small. The Apps that are made for the iPad work a lot better than their iPhone counterparts. iWork works great on the iPad. The WEB is a lot faster than any touch I have used but maybe the latest are close.

For most things I do away from home, the iPad is nicer to take along than a computer, smaller and lighter but with excellent screen. I rarely take my Notebooks with me anymore except I need to do work that requires a complete computer.
QUOTE Thanks
firesidedog

firesidedog is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook pro,2009,Mavericks, 2.66 ghz, 4gb ram, hdd 320gb Ipad2 32gb wifi+3g Ipod touch 3rd. gen.

It's Apple so I just had to get one. Good enough reason for me.

A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
Albert Einstein
QUOTE Thanks
Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 will become famous soon enough

I once thought the same thing, don't really need one because its 1) a glorified iPod, 2) does not fill anything my Mac can't, 3) already had a Nook.

I bought the original iPad in March and I wouldn't trade it for anything other than a new one. Let's just say that for me its convenient to use on the go, around the house or anywhere. For instance, this weekend the wife and I had an overnight conference to attend. Normally I would have lugged the Mac and/or relied on the iPhone. Instead I took the iPad and used my iPhone hotspot and it was perfect for what I needed.

All that said, it still can't replace my Macbook Pro and never will.
QUOTE Thanks
Indiana812

Indiana812 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
First off, I love everything made by Apple; I have a MacBook Pro, iPhone 4, iPod Touch. However, I really want an iPad 2 but I just can't get myself to buy it. I already have a Nook, so I don't really need it for the eReader purposes and I already have the MacBook so I don't really need it for the computer purpose. I guess I just really want one because I love all Apple products. I went to the Apple Store to see if they could somehow talk me into getting one but her sales pitch just didn't convince me. She basically made it sound like a glorified iPod Touch.

Basically I just want your alls opinion on why I should get one or am I fine without having one? I just get seem to make up my mind.

Thanks!
You seem to not like the iPod Touch all that much. The iPod Touch in itself is glorious! Think of it as upgrading from a high quality 22 inch tv to a high quality 52 inch tv. Now that's divine!
QUOTE Thanks
bkitchen0406

bkitchen0406 is on a distinguished road

I purchased an iPad2. I am not an early adopter. Keep in mind that I was not impressed with the iphone1 or 2, but loved the iphone 3. To put it nicely I found the iPad to be a very awkward iphone that did iphone and computer tasks poorly. There where a few gimmicky features and apps I liked, but not enough to keep my buyers remorse away. I took it back the second day I owned it because I hated it that much. Not to mention the screen was very ugly. I still have high hopes for the iPad, in my opinion its just not there yet. I see great potential with the ipad and plan on buying an iPad3. Eventually we will all have a tablet of some kind once software catches up.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

This thread has just made my day. I still can't understand people that NEED to be talked into buying it.
@the OP if you love  products that much, wanting to get and then getting the iPad2 should be a no-brainer.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dan_f14

dan_f14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkitchen0406 View Post
I purchased an iPad2. I am not an early adopter. Keep in mind that I was not impressed with the iphone1 or 2, but loved the iphone 3. To put it nicely I found the iPad to be a very awkward iphone that did iphone and computer tasks poorly. There where a few gimmicky features and apps I liked, but not enough to keep my buyers remorse away. I took it back the second day I owned it because I hated it that much. Not to mention the screen was very ugly. I still have high hopes for the iPad, in my opinion its just not there yet. I see great potential with the ipad and plan on buying an iPad3. Eventually we will all have a tablet of some kind once software catches up.
The screen was ugly are you for real? I would say most people describe the iPad screen as beautiful rich and vibrant. How is it an awkward iPhone please explain. Web browsing would be far more awkward on an iPhone and its smaller display unless you tried to hold it to your ear and use it as a phone I guess. Does iPhone tasks poorly? The iPad 2 has a newer faster dual core processor over the iPhone not to mention a larger screen for easier use, more multi touch gestures and easier viewing. Unless of course you was again trying to use it as a phone I would say the iPad would perform iPhone tasks equally as well if not better. From everything I read you sound like a troll, and I can't understand why if you hated the iPad 2 so much that you would be planning on buying the iPad 3.
QUOTE Thanks
dan_f14

dan_f14 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs:  Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana812 View Post
You seem to not like the iPod Touch all that much. The iPod Touch in itself is glorious! Think of it as upgrading from a high quality 22 inch tv to a high quality 52 inch tv. Now that's divine!
Great description that one, may use that myself. I work with the iPads and I can honestly say in a store that sells hundreds of different electronic lines there has been nothing that gets the same level of interest as the iPad. Does that mean the OP should buy one? Not really. If you have no role for the device then there is no point in actually buying one. I do not own one but I have no need for one at present. I happen to think it is a remarkable device though but at the moment my needs are met by my Macbook Pro and iPhone 4.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Just to add my 2...

I had the first gen iPad, and found that I really didn't use it like I thought I would. I found that most of the apps are really internet-dependent, and with wifi only, it loses some of it's luster when you can't hit the interwebs. I purchased an iPad 2, and this time I got the 3g version - WOW what a difference that made. I take it everywhere! It's been so much more enjoyable than the wifi only model. I already had an iPhone, so I really didn't need the iPad, and that almost stopped me from getting it. But, I'm glad it didn't because it's become a pretty integral part of my life now.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

i personally wouldnt know. oh yeah i have a ipad2 64gb 3g but some how my wife has hijacked it and i havent seen it since may.. ..

lol all kidding aside my kids have itouch's i have an i phone and when you compare both imo i would rather use the ipad2 for searching the web,reading,playing games, and whatever you can throw at it.. i love taking the ipad on vacation and over 3g being able to use maps look for places to eat, visit, watch movies on the plane, etc.

+6 for the ipad2 (wife,me,4kids)

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge,
dig two graves."

Confucius (504 B.C.)
QUOTE Thanks
aestheticxxlove

aestheticxxlove will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" Mid 2009 4GB 500GB 7200RPM, Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2010 8GB 750GB 7200RPM, iPhone 4

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a MBP, iPhone 4, iPod touch, and iPad 2. I have purposes for all. My mbp I use for school and/or research, my iPhone is for communication of course, the iPod touch is for music, now for my iPad I use it when I am just surfing the web or am on the go and don't want to carry my mbp around. I ALWAYS have one or the other. But to be honest, I probably never would have gone out and spent the money to purchase the iPad 2 (the latest to my collection) but since I was able to get a 32GB for only $350 it was WAY too good of a deal to pass up. So I fed into the addiction
QUOTE Thanks
MeteoricVenom

MeteoricVenom is on a distinguished road

Just recently purchased a iPad 2, after debating on whether I should get that or iPod Touch and I am glad I made the right decision, I am primary a PC user for more resource heavy stuff like programming, video etc. and iPad 2 for casual stuff like web browsing, Twitter, Kindle.

I also thought iPad was just a glorified iPod Touch but I have to say after trying it out, I now realise why Apple are the dominant ones in the tablet area.
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

Sure it does pretty much the same things as the iPod/iPhone, but it does them all bigger (less zooming to read web pages) and generally better. It doesn't do everything that a Mac does, but it does 95% of what I do on my Mac. Battery life is phenomenal and it's just a finger swipe from being on & ready to use at all times. So in a nutshell, I usually have a iPhone, iPad & MacBook Pro close by and virtually always grab the iPad. My MacBook gets VERY little use these days.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Idea for Ipad.. | Best iPad Stylus »