New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

d/l airprint activator from macupdate, ipad still not find printer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BluesForDan

BluesForDan is an unknown at this point

Followed the instructions, unzip, allow install, take printer off, put printer back on, enable sharing, etc, etc.

ipad2 still unable to find printer. all software on mac mini (snow leopard) and ipad synced, updated, eyes crossed, tees dotted, and so on.

more apple nefariousness going on? used this Download AirPrint Activator for Mac - Activate AirPrint by adding or removing the required files. MacUpdate.com

No go.

Help me, Obi Wan, you're my only hope.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

1. Is the host computer (your Mac mani) ON and *AWAKE* when you are trying to print?
2. Is the printer on when you are trying to print?

I just tested it with my setup (original iPad, sent via BlackBook running Lion, to Epson Stylus Photo R280) -- worked perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
1. Is the host computer (your Mac mani) ON and *AWAKE* when you are trying to print?
2. Is the printer on when you are trying to print?

I just tested it with my setup (original iPad, sent via BlackBook running Lion, to Epson Stylus Photo R280) -- worked perfectly.
affirmative to both. did you have any versions of airprint already in Lion? I don't think Snow Leopard had it, or if it did, it only worked with select recent HP wireless.

printer is epson stylus nx420 (EPSON 16DA32), mac mini running snow leopard 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I am using Airprint Activator 2.0b12, which hasn't been updated since before Lion came out. I see there is a slightly newer one (b16) but as it says in the description "if it's working you already, no need to upgrade."

There is also a warning in the MacUpdate listing about not having the firewall on (it shouldn't be on at all anyway). Maybe that's the issue?
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

my firewall is set to allow all incoming connection, so I do not think that is the problem
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You'll never "know" if that's the problem until you turn it off, at least temporarily, to see if that fixes it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You'll never "know" if that's the problem until you turn it off, at least temporarily, to see if that fixes it.
turn what off? Firewall is off.

At this point, I'd **** on a sparkplug if I thought it would do any good.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
turn what off? Firewall is off.
In your previous post you said you had the firewall set for "allow all incoming connections." That is not the same thing as "off."

Let us know which it really is.
QUOTE Thanks
BluesForDan

according to system preferences, firewall is off
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesForDan View Post
affirmative to both. did you have any versions of airprint already in Lion? I don't think Snow Leopard had it, or if it did, it only worked with select recent HP wireless.

printer is epson stylus nx420 (EPSON 16DA32), mac mini running snow leopard 10.6.8
Dan, if I may jump in here, Epson has two iPad apps called "Epson iPrint" and "PrintJinni" that may work on your Epson printer. I'm currently using them on my iPad 2. The only downside is that it will not work with iWorks. It does work with DropBox among other programs.

Hope this was some help.

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Some General iPad questions | Print Magazines »