New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Some General iPad questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2

Hi,

I am thinking of buying an iPad, but there are a couple of tings that I would lke to know.

1. How is the iPad 2 for typing? I know that there is a touch keyboard, and I don't intend to write a thesis on it, but say for typing on forums like this one? I am on a lot of forums, or FaceBook etc.

2. With the latest OS, can I stream movies from iMac to iPad? (I have Apple TV 2 if needed).

3. I already have an iMac with 2Tb HDD. If I just plan to use iPad at home for net abd documants, or on train journeys to watch the odd movie/listen to music, will I get away with 16Gb model?

any help much appreciated

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

First off, welcome !

1. I think this depends on the user and the size of their fingers. I've seen people type on an iPad like it was nothing and speed along, and have seen others fumble with it as if it were their first time typing. Experience helps.

2. I believe there is an "Home Sharing" feature in iOS 4.3 which allows streaming iTunes content. There are also a few streaming apps available to do this, as well as some interesting work arounds in order to stream via Safari. Here's one of the apps: Air Video Free - Watch your videos anywhere! for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

3. I do believe you'll be able to get away with 16 so long as you're not going on any long vacations and need to store tons of data. Plus, with iCloud coming out soon, you'll be able to store all of your stuff in there, and have access to it when ever you need. And don't forget things like Dropbox and Sugarsync, too.

4. Fawlty Towers is brilliant!

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

When laid down in its landscape orientation, the on-screen keyboard of the iPad is the same size as a Macbook..and you can get used to typing on it quite effectively..

Yes you can stream movies that are set it up in iTunes on your iMac..

I have a 16GB iPad 2..I use it mainly for reading books/pdf's, email, browsing and for the various games my daughter players..I have about 10 gigs free.

If you're going to load up with music/movies for journeys, you might find the 16GB limited and require to swap out music/movies to make space for new stuff..but that all depends on the size of the movies and the amount of music you want on there..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilFawlty View Post
1. How is the iPad 2 for typing? I know that there is a touch keyboard, and I don't intend to write a thesis on it, but say for typing on forums like this one? I am on a lot of forums, or FaceBook etc.
The best way to know how an iPad is to type on is actually do it. I would suggest visiting your local Apple Store...or a store like Best Buy or Walmart (who also sell iPads)...and give typing a try.

HTH,

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BasilFawlty

BasilFawlty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3.4Ghz core i7 27 inch iMac 16Gb / OS X 10.7.4 / Apple TV 2

Thanks doug & razoredge, that's answered all of my questions. I will have a think about Gb size, but the streaming is a nice touch, so it looks as though I will go for it
QUOTE Thanks
aoifeee

aoifeee is on a distinguished road

I find typing on it just as fast as a normal keyboard.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I personally prefer a BT keyboard for serious typing, but for quick e-mails and short forum replies like this one, the on-screen kb is perfectly fine.
QUOTE Thanks
J.Fo

J.Fo is a jewel in the roughJ.Fo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, late 2012 model, 21"

I think that the typing on an iPad is quite good for what it is. However, I still think I can punch out an email or a forum post like this easier and faster on a physical keyboard. Having something tactile that you can feel with your fingers really helps in that way. (By the way, this post was composed on an iPad using the onscreen keyboard.)

Without knowing how much music you have or what bit rate it's encoded at, it's hard to know whether a 16GB model will be enough for you. How much music do you own, what's the bit rate it's encoded at, and how much of it do you want to bring with you? Don't forget that you might want to install some apps on the device too, and depending on how many of those you install, you might run out of room quicker than you'd expect.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!!! IPAD back to start up screen | d/l airprint activator from macupdate, ipad still not find printer »