New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iTunes home sharing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

arrontdep

arrontdep is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.

I am trying to listen to music on my iPad 2 from my iMac. I have the iTunes home sharing connection set up but when I put my iMac on sleep the connection goes, is there any solution to this? If not does anybody know of any good iPad app that can remotely turn my iMac on and off and isn't too expensive?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Set your iMac to never go to sleep. Just set the display to sleep. Run my media box exactly this way.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

If the Mac goes to sleep then you are toast as you found out. You could set a hot corner to turn off the Screen Saver/sleep.
Edit: Your specs say 10.7 - so that setup would be System Preferences -> Mission Control -> hot corners button at the bottom -> select disable screen saver. Bonus tip - you can select a modifier key so that you have to push the key and move the mouse to the corner for that hot corner to happen.

You could try netawake too - seems to work to wake on lan as long as you have that setup on your Mac.
NetAwake for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
QUOTE Thanks
arrontdep

Mac Specs: iMac 2011; 500GB HDD, 2.5 GHz i5, 4GB RAM & OS X 10.7. iPhone 4 Vodafone & iPad 2; 16GB & iOS 4.3.5.

I tried using NetAwake but I couldn't work it out. The first option was best to make the display screen sleep so I've set a hot corner to do that, mixing both of your ideas. The only worry I have is that will having all of the processors and hard drive on in the background have a bad effect on the iMac? Overheating or the processor failing etc.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

System Preferences -> energy saver -> wake for network access - needs to be checked for netawake to work. If that is checked then I am not sure why it isn't working.

You are using more power by not letting it sleep - so your monthly power bill will go up. As Bob mentioned, any computer that I use for media access - I leave on/no sleep - haven't really seen any problems. If it is just sitting there you won't overheat, disk access is also not that bad either. As a media server where it is just streaming media to various computers, pretty much any modern system won't be taxed at all doing that - i.e. very little stress to the system.

Preferably I would say it would be nice to be able to wake on network access to save some money/power. Also as you said - you probably want to have the screen blank so you don't cause any ghosting - but I leave on an old PC pretty much all the time - for the past 3 years.
QUOTE Thanks
arrontdep

I tried that through the help section on NetAwake and it didn't work for me, I will try it again in a bit when my iPad is charged up. I've set up a hot corner for sleeping the display so I can't see it being a problem then if what you said is right and it won't be very taxing to leave it all on, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Password Manager | Calendar entry no longer editable on iPhone after Mobile Me Sync »