New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

10 Reasons Not to Buy an iPad for a College Student

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I thought some folks would find this an interesting read..."10 Reasons Not to Buy an iPad Instead of a Laptop for a College Student.":

10 Reasons Not to Buy an iPad for a Student

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Great article- though one point seemed a bit biased toward Windows. On the whole though, I definitely agree that an iPad cannot be the ONLY device you use in college, it simply isn't practical. But it is a great device for taking to class everyday, notetaking, etc. In the end though- NOT A LAPTOP REPLACEMENT.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

"It's too distracting, what with all the games, apps, 4Gs, web-browsing, Twitters, and IMs" - That's a terrible reason not to get one. It assumes that laptops are somehow less distracting and trust me, they aren't. I can't tell you how often I see people on FB or other websites in class. In fact, sometimes in undergrad, I saw people watching movies on their notebooks (why even come to class?).

"What makes it desirable to your kid is what makes it desirable to criminals" - The figures for notebook theft must be astronomical because we get reminded constantly not to leave our notebooks unguarded. How is an iPad any different?

"It's meant for the enjoyment of one person, which means social seclusion" - That's just plain ludicrous.

"Digital text books are a marvel, but there's no secondary market" - This I actually agree with. Used textbooks are not only dirt cheap but much more enjoyable to read. More importantly, they're easier to markup.

"It'll already be Old Technology by the time you buy it" - So is a notebook.

Some of those reason are just plain ridiculous. I do agree with the sentiment though. It should not be a replacement for a real computer despite the potential it has. Especially for those in specialized fields, an iPad would be a good accoutrement.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Have to agree Van. And anyone who thinks the iPad can't be a social device is dead wrong. While they can only be controlled by one person at a time they tend to draw a crowd.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

I have a 15-inch MPB and an iPad2 and agree with the article. The iPad is great fun but no way is it for serious work. An outboard keyboard would be a must for essay writing and the iPad screen is too small.

M
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo1938 View Post
I have a 15-inch MPB and an iPad2 and agree with the article. The iPad is great fun but no way is it for serious work. An outboard keyboard would be a must for essay writing and the iPad screen is too small.

M
If you only had an iPad and had a paper due, I bet you could get it done. It won't be pretty but you would "make it work."

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

Sure it could be done. But it would be fiddly to do. And I couldn't bear to hand in something that didn't look right.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Warning prior to updating iPad software ... | What is a good ipad2 case/keyboard? »