New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Adobe Flash Player + iPad2 (?)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikeo1938

Mikeo1938 is on a distinguished road

I'm frequently being told (eg by Google Street View) that I can't access a service because Adobe Flash Player is not on the iPad2. But when I go to the Adobe site I'm told that I can't get it because of a copyright issue.

Is there a way to view such sites with my iPad2?

Thanks ...

M
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

There are third party apps that allow you to view flash.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I presume you're just using street view from the 'full' website.

You can use Street view from within the built in google maps app without issue.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
I presume you're just using street view from the 'full' website.

You can use Street view from within the built in google maps app without issue.
Best way to go.
If you have other flash viewing needs then check out iSwifter, it can get the job done.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Thank you for your help ... initially I'll check the 'full' website option.

M
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeo1938 View Post
Thank you for your help ... initially I'll check the 'full' website option.

M
Ok. But I think you'll find the built-in native google maps app will perform better

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
StMFA

StMFA will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Ok. But I think you'll find the built-in native google maps app will perform better
Agreed.
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

I've downloaded iSwifter thinking that it would enable me to view the video clips on the BBC News site. But these clips still do not work. I'm not in the least interested in those games which the iSwifter app is proposing. So is there no solution to this Apple - Adobe spat? Can't one buy an app that would sort this out? Comments appreciated.

M
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

I can get BBC news videos on iSwifter, just tried. They have adverts because the iSwifter infrastructure is outside of the UK.

However, for BBC news videos you're best using the dedicated BBC News app.

QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Ah-ha! Right, thanks. I didn't know about the BBC app and will give it a try.
M
QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

Thanks for the tip.

I've now got the BBC app and, sure enough, I can see the video clips when I tap this particular icon. However, there's still a problem when viewing the BBC site via Safari, which is what I prefer to do because in this way you can see the whole site and not simply a selection of video clips. Via my preferred method, it's still not possible to see any clips and video reports.

Is there an app that one can buy which will resolve this Adope vs Apple issue?

M
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Do you get an error in iSwifter, because as noted above, BBC videos work fine.

They work in Skyfire too

QUOTE Thanks
Mikeo1938

No error message comes up; it's just that the clips and videos which are presented on the main BBC site at BBC News - Home still do not come over when I tap them. As I say, if I use the BBC app those videos work OK.

Could you pse try BBC News - Home and see if the videos come over automatically with the help of iSwifter? (I assume there should be nothing to do apart from just tapping the screen.)

Thanks - M
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Works fine.

iSwifter is just a VM session with a machine in Canada AFAIK.

Videos and website appears as normal, if a little laggy and with advertising.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The basic problem is as follows:

1. Adobe has so far been unable or unwilling to produce a version of Mobile Flash that doesn't suck (even more than the regular Flash, I mean). Even on smartphones and tablets that fully support Mobile Flash, users complain of laggy performance, overheating and dramatically shortened battery life.

2. Apple would never allow a product like that onto its mobile hardware. If/when Adobe gets their act together, Steve has repeatedly left that door open -- but three years later Adobe hasn't stepped through it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Print Magazines | Seagate go flex home and ipad »