New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Annoyance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

twitchymike@mac

twitchymike@mac has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: G4 + Mac Pro 8-core 6Gb

Every time I connect the iPad to charge it, it wakes the Mac from sleep, and would charge just fine while the Mac sleeps.

Worst of all, iPhoto always opens whenever the iPad is plugged it. I can't find any option anywhere in iPhoto or on the pad to prevent this happening. No camera on the pad, so what's the point?

iTunes is opened too, which is fine for an iPod, and connecting a camera is good when I have to get pics off it.

If I just want to transfer a book or PDF, or just charge it, all these things open.

I also do not want to back it up! That also initiates! The content is all on the Mac! No backups, please.

Any way to stop that?
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

Plug in your iPad/iPhone and go to Image Capture in your applications folder. Click on the iPad/iPhone, then go to "Connecting this iPad/iPhone opens"(lower left hand corner) and change it from iPhoto to No application.

Voila, it's done

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchymike@mac View Post
Every time I connect the iPad to charge it, it wakes the Mac from sleep, and would charge just fine while the Mac sleeps.
You are supposed to charge it from a wall socket. You "can" charge it via USB, but it's very slow. That said… it may be waking up because you have iTunes set to open when the iPad is connected. If so, disable that and see if it helps. It probably won't. I'm pretty sure connecting anything via USB will wake it up. Charging devices is only a secondary function of USB ports on a computer.

Quote:
Worst of all, iPhoto always opens whenever the iPad is plugged it. I can't find any option anywhere in iPhoto or on the pad to prevent this happening. No camera on the pad, so what's the point?
The point is to transfer screen caps or any photos you added to the photo library on the iPad via another app. Open the Photos app on the iPad. Is there anything in the "Saved Photos" album? If so, that's why iPhoto is opening. To change this behavior, run "Image Capture" on your Mac while the iPad is connected. You can then change options for what to do when it is connected.

Quote:
iTunes is opened too, which is fine for an iPod, and connecting a camera is good when I have to get pics off it.

If I just want to transfer a book or PDF, or just charge it, all these things open.

I also do not want to back it up! That also initiates! The content is all on the Mac! No backups, please.

Any way to stop that?
You have iTunes set to open the iPad when it is connected. Connect the iPad, select it from your devices, and disable that option.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wait for iPad3? | Get iPad 2 or keep iPad 1? »