New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

ipad2 AND a macbook pro???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

poisonivy1

poisonivy1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro,i5,snow leopard

hi all,i have a 13" macbook pro and am fancying ipad2,is there any advantage to having both?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

I have both. I had the first gen wifi only, and found I didn't use it as much as I really wanted to, because if you aren't in a hot-spot, most of the apps are very limited. I got the iPad 2 with 3g, and I'm using it daily. Even if for nothing more than Facebook and Twitter feeds, it's been a tremendous improvement, because I can grab it, look for whatever information I want, launch any app, and it's just always there. Granted I haven't taken it on any road trips yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend as we cruise the highways to visit my in-laws. Much lighter and more manageable than having a laptop open in the car, or dragging around a computer bag with all the accessories.

p.s. The wifi model is now my wife's - part of the deal of me getting a new one! :-D
QUOTE Thanks
poisonivy1

that was a crafty move,i agree that an ipad is a better option when going away from home,wondering if i can justify having both,im new to mac and have had my macbook pro for just 3wks and got the magic trackpad yesterday,much more comfortable to use than the one on my macbook,maybe i will wait and have an ipad for christmas,no guilty feelings then.
QUOTE Thanks
yzfmik

yzfmik is on a distinguished road

I have both plus an iMac. I bring my iPad to work (Fire Dept.) since it's small and easily fits in a backpack (ride a motorcycle most days). I use the iMac when I want to sit in my office at home, and the MacBook Pro/iPad gets used by myself or my kids in the living room. There's no way I'd give any of them up, they all fit in perfectly.

 MacBook Pro 13" 2.4GHz
 MacBook Pro 13" 2.26GHz
 iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz /  iPod 30GB /  iPhone 5 32GB
 iPad 2 64GB / 3rd Gen iPad 64 GB/ iPad Mini 32GB
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I use a MBP and an iPad 1 about equally would not give up either.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I use my MBP as my primary means of web browsing, e-mailing, document/spreadsheet creation, etc.
My iPad 1 is great for when I'm on the couch watching TV and want to look something up in a hurry. "Who is that actor in this movie I'm watching?" I reach for my iPad and go to my IMDB app. It's also great for games like Words With Friends and Angry Birds. I prefer the iPad for road trips as it is easy to carry. But it does not replace my Mac because #1 it cannot compete with speed/power, and #2 I hate typing on my iPad.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
prrs4me

prrs4me is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML

I love both. I use both at different times. The iPad is so convenient and I use it when traveling, when sitting in the back yard, down at the pool, etc. The MBP is what I use for photo editing as well as using the iMac.
I would get it. I love the apps.
QUOTE Thanks
poisonivy1

thankyou all,i think i will end up with an ipad eventually,they look such fun,think i will wait a while tho and see if apple are going to bring out a new one for christmas,i suppose then it will be a case of ordering well in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivy1 View Post
thankyou all,i think i will end up with an ipad eventually,they look such fun,think i will wait a while tho and see if apple are going to bring out a new one for christmas,i suppose then it will be a case of ordering well in advance.
Don't hold your breath on that one. The odds of Apple releasing 2 versions of the iPad (or any other device, for that matter) in the same year are about a billion to one against. The iPad seems to be on a yearly release cycle of April (in the U.S.) or 2nd quarter. The iPad 2s should start showing up soon in the refurbished store or you can wait until around April 2012 for iPad 3.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
poisonivy1

ok thanks,will probably get ipad 2 then.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonivy1 View Post
ok thanks,will probably get ipad 2 then.
Great. Enjoy your new purchase. Let us know how you like it.

QUOTE Thanks
poisonivy1

hmm,i just about talked myself into an ipad2 when i saw as i was browsing speculation that ipad3 could be out september or october,wonder if theres in truth in it and should i wait?
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Waiting for the next great thing in computing is kinda like waiting for the "right" girl or guy to come along. You miss out on the time you would enjoy now for something better that may or may not be available down the road.
QUOTE Thanks
poisonivy1

thats very profound lol,thanks for the input
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

I have a MBP and an iPad 1 and would not give up either for anything. My iPad gets taken everywhere, and the MBP gets used at home all the time. Since you dont really have to shut down the MBP, I keep it asleep until I have to boot into Windows. Instant on and surfing, gaming, producing is awesome.

Since the iPad isn't a computer replacement, it works really well to compliment even a laptop.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the an iPad app that can copy certain bits of photos and Paste them on others? | What Can't an iPad do for a College Student »