New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iMac & iPad 2?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr.Durden

Mr.Durden is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any rambling.
I'm going to be graduating college next year and my macbook I've had since senior year of high school has started to become run down.
I got an unexpected research grant this summer which started me looking at getting a replacement computer. I was going to go with a macbook pro, however, the announcement of iOS 5 and iCloud made getting an iMac & iPad 2 (my original idea) seem like a good idea.
I'm planning on going to Grad School, which I will most likely be commuting to, so the iPad 2 would be perfect for portability. Also having access to all my email, calendars, documents, etc would be wonderful. But also being able to have all of my documents etc be stored in icloud and sent to my other devices, it seems like a really good idea.
I'm thinking of an iMac since getting an iPad 2 with a laptop doesn't make sense to me. Also having a desktop for major work at home/sharing it with my fiancée as a main computer seems like it makes sense than doing the same on a laptop.

So my question is: is there any reasons that anyone can give that the combination of an iMac w/ Lion and an iPad 2 with iOS 5 is a bad idea?

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No argument from me, sounds GREAT!

Bit of advice though: give your fiance -- no matter how much you love and trust her -- her own account. She will thank you, you will thank you, both of you will thank me later.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
No argument from me, sounds GREAT!

Bit of advice though: give your fiance -- no matter how much you love and trust her -- her own account. She will thank you, you will thank you, both of you will thank me later.
Agreed with chas on both points. I don't even let my wife touch my computers under my log ins.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr.Durden

Mr.Durden is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much Chas & Bobtomay! I really do appreciate it. & thanks for the account tip haha, good to know.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Certainly can't call it a 'bad idea' - but I do wonder if you might not regret not going with the MBP eventually. A solid notebook is almost indispensable for the grad student - IMO - and the iPad just won't be a sufficient substitute.
QUOTE Thanks
class77

class77 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4

2 seperate accounts are like his and hers bathrooms. They are not necessary, but they sure make for a happier life

 24" iMac, 3.06GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 10.6.8
 2011 Mac mini, 2.7Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 10.7.3
 iPad3 64GB, iPad2 32 GB
 iPhone 4, 32GB  Airport Extreme 5
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by class77 View Post
2 seperate accounts are like his and hers bathrooms. They are not necessary, but they sure make for a happier life;d
like!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad with iOS 4.3.3 Jailbreaking? | Ipad2 battery question »