New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Still no flash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lindalaveen

Lindalaveen is on a distinguished road

Just don't understand the no flash or USB port. Can someone help me understand. It's at a point that my next tablet will not be an iPad unless these issues are remedied.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Not sure what this has to do with "Community Suggestions and Feedback". Moving to a more appropriate forum.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your questions, there is a USB adapter for the iPad. Flash support is available through a number of third party apps.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Lindalaveen

Lindalaveen is on a distinguished road

thanks, I'll check it out
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalaveen View Post
Just don't understand the no flash or USB port. Can someone help me understand. It's at a point that my next tablet will not be an iPad unless these issues are remedied.
I'll summarize what Steve Jobs said about Flash thusly:

"We would have no problem putting Flash on the iPad if Adobe could come up with a version of Flash that performs well and doesn't eat the battery and processor for lunch. So far, they have not managed to do that."

That was a year ago, and guess what? They still haven't. Read ANY review from ANY source about how well the Flash performs on tablets or phones that claim to support it: they will always, ALWAYS start with "well it's nothing like as good as on a desktop, but it works. Kinda."

So the answer to the question of why the iPad doesn't have Flash is because Adobe sucks.

Your USB port question has already been answered.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

In addition to the performance issues Chas mentioned there is another equally important issue with Flash. Much of the current Flash content on the web does not really lend itself to a touch based interface. Some things could be kinda kludged by temperately enlarging the window so the controls could be touched but do you really want to do that every time you need to make a change such as rewinding a video?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

I had Flash on my Droid Incredible running 2.2 (and it wasn't the watered down Lite version either). It was next to useless. Some videos would play, but in nearly all cases, there was an alternative way to view them outside of Flash. And Chas is correct, open a Flash video and you could literally watch the battery drain in real time, in addition to having the phone heat up in your palm.

I just don't think this is as much of an issue today as it was at one time. But if you really must have Flash support, there are ways to do it like I mentioned previously.

Aside from that, good luck with the multitude of Android devices in addition to the BlackBerry Playbook that runs it. My last Android experience was quite similar to using Linux- it looks pretty out of the box, but once you start customizing it, things go south very quickly. I'd rather spend my time USING the device than troubleshooting it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best buy's iPad service plan | Need Help Please »