New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Is now the time to get an iPad?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fatmando2

fatmando2 is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I put this in the wrong section but I am kinda new. I'm thinking about getting the iPad 2 and I was just wondering if anyone had an idea when the iPad 3 will be released. I don't have an iPad 1 so this will be the first iPad that I will get. I know that apple products have a high resell value so I figure that if a new one comes out I can just get a new one after I sell the old one but I was just wondering what you guys think about this? Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Only Apple knows when the iPad 3 is going to be released. Most likely it won't be released for some time since the iPad 2 was just released a couple months ago.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

This is age old thing that we go through constantly..Apple product revision N is currently available, people wonder when product version N+1 will be available and if they should wait..our answer is usually what Kash said..

So, rather, look at the features of the iPad 2, do they appeal to you? Do you think you can do what you want with what it can do? If so, go buy it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Still using gen 1 and liking it. Have you picked one up and used it thats all it took for me ?
QUOTE Thanks
FAsnakes

FAsnakes is on a distinguished road

Who knows what their product roadmap looks like.. If it meets your needs, pick one up.. If you're trying to get ahead of technology - get ready to loose.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

2 was released in April. Safe bet that 3 won't come out until first half (probably first quarter) of 2012. That's just a guesstimate, but a pretty safe one nonetheless.
Wait 9 months for 3, or get 2 today and start enjoying it immediately.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

If its like most of their products unless you are willing to update every cycle you can never stay ahead just get and enjoy what you want.
QUOTE Thanks
EvenStranger

EvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really niceEvenStranger is just really nice
Mac Specs: Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd

Shop around - if you've not owned an iPad before, consider getting a first gen. I've seen the 64GB+3g version for $300 less than the comparable iPad 2. It's still a great device, and it'll get you ready for the next version without taking a huge hit on resale if you decide to upgrade later.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Actually, I saw a report on NY1 just last night saying that current iPad 2 owners are going to be ticked off because the iPad 3 is set to be released sometime in the 4th quarter of this year. The resolution is said to be 4x better, for whatever that is worth.

And no, this is not a joke.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Actually, I saw a report on NY1 just last night saying that current iPad 2 owners are going to be ticked off because the iPad 3 is set to be released sometime in the 4th quarter of this year. The resolution is said to be 4x better, for whatever that is worth.

And no, this is not a joke.

Doug
I don't know anything about the resolution on the iPad 3, but there's no way Apple would release iPad 2 and 3 in the same calendar year.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I don't know anything about the resolution on the iPad 3, but there's no way Apple would release iPad 2 and 3 in the same calendar year.
Are you willing to do something silly at my whimsy if they do?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

MYmacROX is probably right, actually, so you may not like the flip side of that bet!

The rumour that a future iPad was going to get "retina display" type jump in graphics has been around since the day after the iPad 1 came out. In reality-land, nobody can figure out how to put a 4x better display into an iPad for under a grand, so you would think sensible people would figure out that this story probably isn't true. You would think.

Still, there are people who love to float stories like this to manipulate the stock price, and suckers who will believe them in the face of logic. Will the iPad get a screen upgrade? Maybe at some point, seems likely.

Will be it 4X higher than the current screen requiring every single developer (including Apple) to rewrite every single app in the App Store, with no forewarning? Duh, hmmm, um, well ...

I don't live in New York, but I know what NY1 is (... a time filler). Either you misheard the report and they were just repeating a rumour, or they're just bored and making stuff up for fun, but most likely they are one of the suckers I just referred to.

The iPad 2 is selling so well that Apple can barely keep up with demand to such an extent that all manufacturers are having trouble getting components, but I'm supposed to believe that Apple will launch a *second* model just weeks after having introduced the iPad 2? Really?

I think speculation is fun, and of course Apple prides itself on being unpredictable, but seriously.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:

Doug
Please say yes - and the wager has to go both ways - and make sure it gets to YouTube We need a little fun around here.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

Quote:

Doug
I'm not a betting man. Sorry, I didn't mean my comment as a challenge. Just reasoning on how unlikely the release of two iterations of an Apple product in the same year would be.
But feel free to offer to do something funny if the iPad 3 doesn't come out in 2011.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need advice on buy iPad in one country to use in another | Ipad2 folder question »