New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Need Help Please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macguy712

macguy712 is an unknown at this point

Ok so I am about to buy a tablet without the test week or so and I really need help deciding on the iPad2 or the Asus Transformer. The only reason I am even considering anything besides the iPad is because expandable memory is something I really need. Is there any proven way out there to hook up a sd car or flash drive to read and write information to it?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

What are you planning to put on the drive? For movies/video and photos the camera kit for the iPad will do what you need. If it is general purpose files, then that isn't officially supported yet.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Here you go. I posted this in another thread a while back - but that thread died unceremoniously.

PhotoFast i-FlashDrive does USB on one end, 30-pin dock connector on the other -- Engadget

This should bring the capability you, and a lot of others, are looking for. Says available in June. Haven't looked to see if it's out yet.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy712

I need it mostly for powerpoints, but who know's what else I would need down the road. But the camera kit, will allow me to import and export video and pictures, via sd card, correct?

And that adapter is cool if you have a 64gb and then need more memory. But if you're going with the 16gb and then you buy a 8gb adapter for a 100 bucks, that costs just as much as buy a 32gb. Ahh i dont know, I still really need to think hard about this. Has anyone here ever messed around with the transformer?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Hang on -- you need more than 64GB of storage for *powerpoint presentations*??

Uh, no, you don't actually.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy712

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Hang on -- you need more than 64GB of storage for *powerpoint presentations*??

Uh, no, you don't actually.
Yeah you're right....hang on -- I said I was only considering the 16gb model right now and considering that each one of my ppts. are about 80mb in size and we cover about 30 powerpoints a semester in about 3 classes, so that would put me at about 6gb just for my *powerpoint presentations*. Add music, videos, and apps, I think I'd get pretty close to the capacity limit.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Maybe. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can fit in 16GB if you're willing to give up trying to have EVERY photo, video or song you've ever owned all in one device.

I went for the 32GB iPad when I bought mine, but even after loading it up with plenty of all of the above, I still have 10GB left.
QUOTE Thanks
macguy712

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Maybe. You'd be surprised how much stuff you can fit in 16GB if you're willing to give up trying to have EVERY photo, video or song you've ever owned all in one device.

I went for the 32GB iPad when I bought mine, but even after loading it up with plenty of all of the above, I still have 10GB left.
Ya I'm going to go ahead and get both and see which I like better. And just keep my pics and movies on a sd card...I'm going to try to save the ppts as jpegs and see if I can make them any smaller and just use the camera connection kit...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Still no flash | Need advice on buy iPad in one country to use in another »