New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Dropping Wifi

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fozzy40

fozzy40 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone!

I have an iPad2 32GB wifi with a smartcover and have noticed a weird problem. I've noticed that when I turn off the iPad and shut the it with the smart cover that I drop my wifi connection when I restart it. However, if I just leave the cover open and turn off the iPad manually that I don't have any problems staying connected the next time I start using it again. I've looked online and see that some people trying toggling with the brightness and I've even tried turning off the iPad cover lock/unlock option. Neither of those have worked.

I talked with Apple today and they said they have never noticed this problem and suggested I start messing with router. Before I go down that messy route, has anyone else had this problem? Any good solutions I said from chucking the smartcover?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

What security do you have on your router? Are you broadcasting your ssid?

I have a smart cover and my iPad connects every time to multiple networks - with multiple security options.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I have the iPad2 WiFi only and use a smart cover and use it almost exclusively to sleep and wake the device and I've had no problems getting reconnected to my WiFi router each time. I have a Linksys WRT54GS, have the SSID being broadcasted and use WEP security..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
fozzy40

Sorry I didn't see that people have replied.

Router: Linksys WRT160N router
Firmware: WRT160Nv2 (which I updated recently)
Security: WPA2

Update- My brother in law was using his iPad without any difficulty and he does not have a smartcover. I've taken my ipad to other places and logged on with no problem. I've talked with Apple and they switched out the iPad unit and I'm still having the problem.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

WPA2 is good - but what about your SSID? Is it being broadcast or not? Are you doing Mac filtering? Anything of that nature?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Here's another suggestion: power it down. Most people, I find, rarely or never do this with their iPad. Actually turn it completely off, then power it up again. See if it behaves better after that.
QUOTE Thanks
fozzy40

Yes, I am broadcasting the SSID.

I'm not sure what Mac filtering is so I'll assume I'm not doing it unless it's a default

I've tried powering down both devices.
QUOTE Thanks
fozzy40

Scratch the smart cover factor. It's doing it without the cover as well.

It's so weird because I'm looking at the iPad right now and my network is checked under the "Wi-Fi Networks" tab but it's very clearly not connected to the internet. I have to toggle the Wi-Fi "on/off" for it to reconnect. As soon as I do that, it goes right back to working!
QUOTE Thanks
righturn

righturn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)

Today out of the blue, or should I say wifi world, I lost my home wifi on my 1pad 2 wife only, it lost the security code for the modem. I just put it back in and it worked, so I tough it might be a problem with the modem, but the other computers on line were not effected.
Not a big problem right now, but, but, who knows what tomorrow will bring.
QUOTE Thanks
Nashh

Nashh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13", 1 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1GHz,iPod Classic 30GB, iPad 2 WiFi 32GB

Hello guys, I have observed a similar situation of dropping wifi. Strange thing is that if I am using my MacBook the signals does not drop, but on an iPad signal fluctuates. What may be the possible reason, any clues ?
QUOTE Thanks
fozzy40

Solution for me: Switched to from WPA2 to WPA.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remedy for fingerprint on screen | obooko ? »