New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Few question about iPad before buying...Maybe !!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

webb

webb is on a distinguished road

Okay I'm between the iPad 2 and Samsung Tablet 10.1 schedule to be released on June 8th in the US.

So I know there's no flash,no external SD option,no HDMI etc...

I've heard that,before using the iPad I will need to sync to my iTunes ? Why would I need to do that ?

If I get it I don't want music,movies etc...Whatever is in my home PC iTunes stays there,only because If I get I will only get a 16GB one.

Why do I need to file my Credit Card with iTunes ? I'm not buying nothing,only getting the free apps.

So if I have taken some pictures with my digital camera how do I install them on the iPad to view them ? Same for documents.

I guess just these ones for now,can't thing of anything else.

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb View Post
Okay I'm between the iPad 2 and Samsung Tablet 10.1 schedule to be released on June 8th in the US.
Why not just get a Samsung Tablet now? If you've seen one craptastic Android product, you've seen them all.

Quote:
HDMI and SD (via a digital camera) are optional dongles.

Quote:
I've heard that,before using the iPad I will need to sync to my iTunes ? Why would I need to do that ?
That's true. Why, I'm not sure. They treat it like a glorified iPod, so it is paired with iTunes (at least for the initial setup). One positive thing is that you always get a full backup of your device, so there's no potential to lose your purchases (like there is with Android, particularly during firmware updates).

Quote:
If I get it I don't want music,movies etc...Whatever is in my home PC iTunes stays there,only because If I get I will only get a 16GB one.
You can certainly set it up to sync that way. It's entirely up to you.

Quote:
Why do I need to file my Credit Card with iTunes ? I'm not buying nothing,only getting the free apps.
It uniquely identifies the account and opens you up to make purchases at some point if you so desire. You can also use an iTunes gift card, if need be.

Quote:
So if I have taken some pictures with my digital camera how do I install them on the iPad to view them ? Same for documents.
iTunes will handle that for you. You can also pull them from the cloud (via email) or with the digital camera kit.

Quote:
I guess just these ones for now,can't thing of anything else.

Thank you
I would just caution you that the iPad is really intended to be a companion device to a full PC. It's not meant to be an entirely standalone computing device. That's not necessarily true of Android, but then, Android has its own share of (IMO far more annoying) eccentricities.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I can answer a couple of your questions. Synching your iPad with your iTunes library does not mean that you have to transfer your music video, etc to the iPad When the iPad is attached there are several tabs in iTunes where one can control what is synched and how much. You could for example synch only part of your library.

Synching with iTunes, in addition to transferring content is a means of backing up the iPad's content

Ignore what I said CWA did a much better job answering the question.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb View Post
I echo cwa on this first point. Samsung is currently being sued by Apple for stealing their designs and patents on that tablet ... given Apple's track record on "trade dress" type litigation, I wouldn't expect there to be a long shelf life on that model.

Quote:
You "know" incorrectly. SD and HDMI both possible (requires dongle). Flash is also possible via third-party trickery (basically the company runs the flash on their own servers and streams the result to you in HTML5), but it's not too satisfying.

Having said that, every review of Android devices -- without exception -- has made mention of the fact that although Flash is supported on those devices, it a) drains the battery and b) doesn't actually work very well.

Bottom line: No matter what you think of Flash, the mobile version of Flash is simply not ready for prime time, and despite some improvement it looks to take years before it is on par with desktop Flash. The lack of Flash has not stopped Apple from selling more iPads than they can actually make, so I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out if the lack of Flash is really a "problem" or not.

Quote:
Because only dummies would not backup their data or update their software or transfer some of the assets on their computer to the iPad.

Quote:
That's entirely up to you. You CAN add music, media, apps and docs via iTunes, or sync it only when you want to make a backup or update software if that's all you want. Your choice.

Quote:
Why do I need to file my Credit Card with iTunes ?
You don't. It's suggested, but not mandatory.

Quote:
Through iTunes. Say, that iTunes turns out to be darn handy for a lot of things! Maybe you should spend some time learning a bit more about it.
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Why not just get a Samsung Tablet now? If you've seen one craptastic Android product, you've seen them all.
lol...sig worthy
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

And it is good to do an app count comparison between androids and iPads. 350,000 for iPads, many of which are free. How many for androids? Hmmmmmm?

Androinica Android Market has 10,000 apps, many of which don’t appeal to users
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

Kinda like going into a Mercedes dealership, and driving out with a 'smart' car.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help | Ipad as a graphics (Wacom-like) Tablet.? »