New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Multitouch Gestures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Searched for multitouch and didn't see anything in this forum nor in the iOS Apps forum.

With the release and review of the Blackberry Playbook - everyone seems to be touting the app switching of the Playbook. I admit it seems like a good idea - swipe to and from the bezel to get to different programs and menus.
How to Use the BlackBerry PlayBook Gestures «Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
A video to make it a little more clear
YouTube - BlackBerry PlayBook UI, Basic Navigation, Gestures & Settings

That being said - the iPad is also capable of using gestures to switch between apps, and view the "running" toolbar. (After typing all this up I see it is called the multitasking bar in settings on the iPad)
Add New Multi-Touch Gestures To Any iPad For Only $4.99 | Cult of Mac
For the Windows folks
Enable Multi-touch Gestures on iPad without jailbreaking
Or you could just find a buddy with a Mac and have him/her enable it for you.

Here is a video demonstrating the gestures
YouTube - iOS 4.3 Beta Multi-Touch Gestures for iPad

but to summarize
4 finger swipe left/right - switch apps left/right (as they are on the "running bar")
4 finger swipe up - show "running bar"
4 or 5 finger pinch - show the home screen

I find myself using these gestures more than the home button.

I've also noticed on some of the Playbook demonstrations the gestures don't always work - or get recognized as another gesture - if you don't start from beyond the bezel. Of course - when I use Atomic Web on the iPad - whenever I put down 4 fingers - it recognizes a 3 finger tap and puts me in fullscreen mode - so the iPad has its caveats as well.
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

My brother bought a playbook (hes a huge RIM guy)
I played with it at length last night and it is a really nice device. That being said, I agree at times the mutli-touch was not as responsive as I would like. It is a great device though (just not as great as my iPad 2)

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I love the multitouch gestures on the iPad – they really change the way I use the device to be honest.

The double-click home button command has always annoyed me and I frequently find it not working right away on my iPhone (I think the button might be giving out though), but the gestures work perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
Tommyg80

Tommyg80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
I love the multitouch gestures on the iPad – they really change the way I use the device to be honest.

The double-click home button command has always annoyed me and I frequently find it not working right away on my iPhone (I think the button might be giving out though), but the gestures work perfectly.
I have to agree! The multi-touch gestures have made using my I pad 2 amazing. I just set it mult-gestures on a friends I pad 1 the other day and he called earlier to say he loves them . For the record, I didn't notice any issues when I used the multi-gestures on his 1st gen.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Really good review of the Playbook:

Review: BlackBerry PlayBook takes on the iPad 2 | Electronista
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad 2 external speaker buzz | Magazine Jacket for iPad 2 in UK???? »