New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Is one single pixel enough?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bentharbour

bentharbour has a spectacular aura about

Hey Guys,

So I have one "dead" pixel on my ipad 2...it is in the middle of the screen. Would this be enough for you guys to go get apple to take a look at it? I hate to be a huge pain, but I bought the thing less than a month ago, so I am looking for the best quality.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

I would say yes..one pixel is enough for apple to probably even replace it

They bend over backwards and if u ( the customer) notice it obviously it's enough
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Absolutely. What is it, maybe a month old? You shouldn't have any dead pixels and Apple will surely replace it if you take it in.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Take a look at these guys, I just want to verify that you would call this a "dead pixel". I would like to go into the store and seem like I know what it is and not just throwing out random problems.

 15" MBPr (2012): 2.3Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD  24" Apple Cinema Display  iPhone 5 16GB Black  iPad 2 16GB White
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Apple has guidelines on how many dead pixels and where they are with regard to whether they'll replace or repair a screen. Best thing is just to take it to them and have them look at it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

thanks schweb

QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

So I took it into the Apple store in Toronto this morning. It was easter weekend so stores were closed friday and sunday in Canada (and there was no way I would be caught in yorkdale on a saturday sandwiched between two holidays).

I took it there expecting to walk out with a new one, so I restored the iPad to factory settings. I walked up to one of the Genius' and showed them my problem. Within 10 minutes, I walked out with a brand new iPad. Although I was expecting it, I was not sure 100% if they would give me a new one or if they even had the stock. Needless to say I was happy and the Genius apologized sincerely, even though it wasn't his or Apple's fault. I tend not to take things such as this too seriously as it happens and getting all fussy about it will get you nowhere.

Is it just me, or does it seem like there are LESS iPad 2's available than there were a week or two after launch? I specifically remember going into few Future Shops and Best Buys a week after the 25th (launch in Canada) and seeing many iPad 2's locked up. I was looking for a new case today and stopped by a few FS's and BB's and none of them had any!

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentharbour View Post

Within 10 minutes, I walked out with a brand new iPad. Although I was expecting it, I was not sure 100% if they would give me a new one or if they even had the stock.
First let me say thanks for the update...and congratulations on getting a replacement iPad 2.

But (I'm getting in a little late on this thread)...before your visit to the Apple Store I would not have been quite as confident as you sounded.

As I believe Schweb mentioned above...Apple and other manufacturers have guidelines relating to dead pixels & hardware replacement/repair. I don't know the exact numbers off hand...but usually on items such as laptop displays & LCD monitors...you need multiple dead pixels before a replacement/repair is likely to happen. With one special note...it also depends if the dead pixels are spread out over the surface of the display...or are clustered together. Clustering of dead pixels requires fewer dead pixels to get a replacement/repair.

And usually...one dead pixel is not enough for a replacement/repair.

But all of this really doesn't matter now. You got a replacement...and that's what's important! Congrats again...and way to go Apple!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yeah, I am a glass is half full kind of guy. Furthermore, if something doesn't "meet" my expectations it is not a big deal. Although Schweb is right with what he is saying, I figured I would just go in there and be my usual self (confident and very understanding) and hopefully come out with what I went there for.

Good thing I got it I guess. As I was leaving I saw a lot of "how did he get that!" looks haha

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Yeah, I am a glass is half full kind of guy. Furthermore, if something doesn't "meet" my expectations it is not a big deal. Although Schweb is right with what he is saying, I figured I would just go in there and be my usual self (confident and very understanding) and hopefully come out with what I went there for.

Good thing I got it I guess. As I was leaving I saw a lot of "how did he get that!" looks haha
Hey...I agree...you did the right thing. Nothing tried...nothing gained!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:

Is it just me, or does it seem like there are LESS iPad 2's available than there were a week or two after launch? I specifically remember going into few Future Shops and Best Buys a week after the 25th (launch in Canada) and seeing many iPad 2's locked up. I was looking for a new case today and stopped by a few FS's and BB's and none of them had any!
This could be one of the reasons why Production issues hit iPad 2 shipments
QUOTE Thanks
TechCentury

TechCentury is on a distinguished road

First off I have to say that the customer service of Apple is usually very good and that if you have any issues most of the time they will find a solution for it (hardware defects= replacement).

I have had serious screen bleeding issues on my white iPad 2 and it got replaced at an Apple store without an issue at all.

TechCentury on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/TechCentury
Your channel for the latest news in tech, reviews, unboxings and much more!
QUOTE Thanks
bentharbour

Yeah, we have all heard about the light bleeding issues. It is a shame, but thankfully apple has handled it well and given their usual customer service.

The new iPad 2 I was given does have a slight "yellow tint" on one side. But after some research I hear it is just the glue that has to fully dry. Even if it stayed, I don't care, it is not a big deal to me. I love this iPad.

Have you guys opted for AppleCare?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I haven't made it to the Apple store. But I've dropped in my local BB and Target after they were suppose to carry them at least a half dozen times. I drive within 1/2 mile of both of them daily. Not a one in sight yet.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

AppleInsider | Japanese disaster could leave Apple with shortage of five key iPad 2 components
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power supply | iPad 2 external speaker buzz »