New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad2 in China

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

laowai

laowai is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping to use a UK purchased iPad2 in China. I can see there is a Chinese language option, should it work ok on all other functions?
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

As long as it is the WiFi version and not the 3G version you shouldn't run into any problems at all.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
laowai

China Unicom offers a 3g service, is it different to UK?
QUOTE Thanks
macwannabe

macwannabe is a jewel in the roughmacwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*

Even if it is a 3G version you can still use the WIFI.

Click the logo to check out my site...

"learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

3G services vary by location. It depends on the Carrier. Here in the US we have two different models of the iPad2 and iPhone 4 because of that. One for AT&T, the other for Verizon.

You would have to check with China Unicom to see if an iPad2 purchased in the UK or US would be compatible. But as noted above would work WiFi.
QUOTE Thanks
wolfpuppies3

wolfpuppies3 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini

Determine now if you can whether they use CDMA or GSM cellular technology. CDMA is pretty much not used outside of one carrier (Verizon) in the US. Mostly not used in Europe by any carrier there. If yours has a SIM chip, it is GSM.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
Determine now if you can whether they use CDMA or GSM cellular technology. CDMA is pretty much not used outside of one carrier (Verizon) in the US. Mostly not used in Europe by any carrier there. If yours has a SIM chip, it is GSM.
Um sprint uses CDMA and has like 49 million people. Well it did have lol. Anyways there are tons of CDMA providers in the USA. Where I live we have AT&T gsm and ACS which is CDMA. Although Verizon is the biggest there's still a lot of CDMA out there.
QUOTE Thanks
laowai

Thanks for the info guys. Recent announcement;

"The Regulatory Center, which is part of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, issued the approval last month, says the WSJ. The approval is for an "Apple 'data terminal' that supports 3G mobile technology standard Wideband Code Division Multiple Access."
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

That means your iPad 2 would have to be of the Verizon type which works on CDMA also. In other words, don't buy the AT&T 3G model.
QUOTE Thanks
DB2k

DB2k will become famous soon enough

why do you have to use China Unicom? China has other GSM 3G providers. China Telecom and of course, 3 if yo uare in HK. Unicom have a GSM service but its 2G only.

--
27" quad core metal iMac and a metal macbook and a plastic terrabyte time capsule and a 32GB iPod Touch 3rd gen and a nano somewhere and a classic ipod in the car and one of the ickle shuffle things, and an iPhone4.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
That means your iPad 2 would have to be of the Verizon type which works on CDMA also. In other words, don't buy the AT&T 3G model.
Actually, China uses three flavors of 3G:

TD-SCDMA on China Mobile, W-CDMA on China Unicom and CDMA2000 on China Telecom.

CDMA2000 = EV-DO CDMA (e.g. Verizon iPad)
W-CDMA = UMTS (e.g. GSM iPad)
TD-SCDMA = chinese-only standard (don't hold your breath)

As it's unclear whether you'll be able to use the verizon iPad with alternative carriers, your best bet is to get the regular GSM version and try to use it on China Unicom.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Is that what's known as the "Chinese Water Torture"?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Support Discount Code for iPad 2 Screen | Can't send email with my cox account »