New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Smart Covers, Cases, Screen Protectors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacksonian

jacksonian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLicious View Post
I have been looking for a grip type back to go on my iPad 2 that will work with the smart cover. I found one on Marware's website. It is the MicroShell iPad 2 case. Says it is made of polycarbonate and is a flexible one-piece design that snaps easily on ipad 2. Comes in 5 colours. I tried to order online but it says they are on backorder. I phoned Marware and they told me that they will be shipping them the end of April and for those that care, yes they do ship to Canada.

I don't know how yet to post pics here but here's the link instead:

MicroShell iPad 2 case

Anyone had any Marware products before? Comments? Quality?

Thanks,
Cathy
I think Marware usually makes good stuff. I can't tell from the pics exactly, did they leave a little strip uncovered for the magnets to attach? If so, that might be a cool option.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

It does say on their website that it is compatible with the Apple smart covers.

Also, I noticed your previous comments about your SGP Screen Protector. I came on here to search to see if anyone else had problems installing theirs. I just spent almost an hour if you can believe it trying to get the SGP ultra optics anti-fingerprint screen protector on properly. Cannot do it without bubbles and tiny bits of dust. I kept lifting it up and replacing it after removing both dust and bubbles.
I watched their video now 3 times and can only think the person in the video must have practiced for days or weeks prior to making that 2-3 minute instructional video on the SGP website. I have installed numerous Zagg Invisible shields on various cellphones and mp3 players, iPods etc. and never had such problems.
I will never buy SGP again after this experience and will go back to Zagg!
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

Quote:
It does say on their website that it is compatible with the Apple smart covers.

Also, I noticed your previous comments about your SGP Screen Protector. I came on here to search to see if anyone else had problems installing theirs. I just spent almost an hour if you can believe it trying to get the SGP ultra optics anti-fingerprint screen protector on properly. Cannot do it without bubbles and tiny bits of dust. I kept lifting it up and replacing it after removing both dust and bubbles....
Yup, I could tell from the moment I laid it on the screen that it was going to be impossible. And I actually bought one for my wife's friend since it was her first iPad. I was trying to put it on for her thinking it would go like my PowerSupport films always do. Needless to say I was mortified when I had to hand her an iPad with 10,000 bubbles all over it. Can't wait for my PS films to arrive any day now!
QUOTE Thanks
AUZambo

AUZambo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram

Quote:
Also, I noticed your previous comments about your SGP Screen Protector. I came on here to search to see if anyone else had problems installing theirs. I just spent almost an hour if you can believe it trying to get the SGP ultra optics anti-fingerprint screen protector on properly. Cannot do it without bubbles and tiny bits of dust. I kept lifting it up and replacing it after removing both dust and bubbles.
I watched their video now 3 times and can only think the person in the video must have practiced for days or weeks prior to making that 2-3 minute instructional video on the SGP website. I have installed numerous Zagg Invisible shields on various cellphones and mp3 players, iPods etc. and never had such problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post
Yup, I could tell from the moment I laid it on the screen that it was going to be impossible. And I actually bought one for my wife's friend since it was her first iPad. I was trying to put it on for her thinking it would go like my PowerSupport films always do. Needless to say I was mortified when I had to hand her an iPad with 10,000 bubbles all over it. Can't wait for my PS films to arrive any day now!
I've never used the SGP brand, but I have put a BestSkinsEver and a BodyGuardz on my iPhone and after the initial placement of the film there were bubbles - even after trying to squeeze them out - but after a day or two the bubbles went away.

Is this not the case with SGP?
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

They responded today from my factual but scathing email asking for pics which I sent. Already got reply telling me a replacement is on the way! Who knows whether I can do a better job second time around though???
QUOTE Thanks
Shroppy

Shroppy is on a distinguished road

Hi i have ordered my ipad 2 and i am expecting delivery shortly, i know which case i am getting (speck pixelskin hd wrap case) but i am still stuck on what screen protector to buy
I have heard many have the texture of an orange peel etc which i do not want, i want to be ably to run my fingers across it smoothly, i also want it to be tough and resistant as too many of my iphone 4 screen protectors have benn useless and scratch too easily.
can any one help please?
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroppy View Post
Hi i have ordered my ipad 2 and i am expecting delivery shortly, i know which case i am getting (speck pixelskin hd wrap case) but i am still stuck on what screen protector to buy
I have heard many have the texture of an orange peel etc which i do not want, i want to be ably to run my fingers across it smoothly, i also want it to be tough and resistant as too many of my iphone 4 screen protectors have benn useless and scratch too easily.
can any one help please?
Hate to sound like an informercial. But I'll never buy anything but PowerSupport. Use them on all my iPhones, iPod Touch and iPads. I get a perfect installation and can't even tell they're on there. I just gave my original iPad to my mother-in-law and it still has the PS crystal film I put on it a year ago and it looks new.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
I've never used the SGP brand, but I have put a BestSkinsEver and a BodyGuardz on my iPhone and after the initial placement of the film there were bubbles - even after trying to squeeze them out - but after a day or two the bubbles went away.

Is this not the case with SGP?
Nope, no dissipation of the bubbles, still there.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

And dust unless you happen to live in either a really dust-free environment or a vacuum.
QUOTE Thanks
Shroppy

Shroppy is on a distinguished road

thanks for that im not sure we can get powersupport for ipad 2 in the uk yet so are there any others you would recommend?
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroppy View Post
thanks for that im not sure we can get powersupport for ipad 2 in the uk yet so are there any others you would recommend?
Sorry, I can't. That's the only one I can vouch for. Not saying it's the only good one, but the only one I can personally attest to. I don't like the Zagg feel, but lots of people do.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

I just received the RadTech Skinny case for the iPad 2. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I was a fan of the Apple case for the iPad 1. I like something that protects against drops, covers the screen, allows for propping up for typing/watching, and adds minimal bulk.

Short version: I like it. It seems to meet all the requirements I just listed fairly well and it has the magnets to make the cover smart. The fit and finish (quality) seem good. On the side where the cover meets, the clips hug the corners well without covering the bezel at all. You can remove the iPad from the case without much hassle, but it doesn't seem like it would fall out inadvertently. On the other side, there are tabs on each corner to hold the iPad securely in. They only encroach a little on each corner. The Skinny leaves the bezel about 98% completely unobstructed which is nice.

The outside is a nice stretchy looking fabric. It doesn't look like it will pick up the dirty look that the Apple case did. The cover lining is a soft velvet feeling gray material. The bend in the cover seems further toward the middle than the Apple case which gives a steeper angle for typing which I like. The cover has the smart magnets but also has a tongue in loop closure so it's more securely closed. The tongue in loop also holds the cover in place when it's flipped around in typing/stand mode.

The cover closes and fits well, but does leave a gap at the two corners where the two tabs holding the iPad secure cover and stick out from the bezel a little. That might be my only nitpick so far, but the tradeoff is having the unobstructed bezel everywhere else, so it's a necessary evil for this design.

As for protection, it looks like it should do a good job of drop protection, although dropping it one one of those tabs on the outside corners could possibly break the tab off. One nice thing about the Apple case was that the edges and corners were nicely protected with that little ridge of material sticking out that cushioned any drops.

I'll try to update with more experience--I'll be taking it on a 4 day business trip next week so it will get lots of use in airports, planes, cars, etc.

Now for pics:
Front cover (it really is jet black, iPhone + low light = reddish color)

Inside:

Closure side:

Top:

Back:

Bottom:

Typing mode (front):

Typing mode (side):
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

Even though I am waiting for my replacement screen protector for my iPad 2 from SGP, I have just ordered an Invisible Shield full body easy install protection from Zagg. I have installed Invisible Shields on many of my other devices, iPods, mp3 players etc. and I personnally think they are the best. Yes after a lot of use (depending on how careful you are) you may find some of the corners discolouring and lifting a bit. But I think it is a small price to pay for scratch proof protection. I just want the screen and back of my iPad covered. My SGP definitely degrades the quality of the lovely new screen in both brightness and quality, not to mention the feel of it and you can actually hear it if you listen closely as your finger swipes across. Not my favourite cover, but I am sure it provides 100% scratch protection, however, the cons outweigh the pros for SGP for me. Each to their own.

@Jacksonian Nice pics of the Radcase Skinny! Hadn't heard of that one before.
QUOTE Thanks
shail422

shail422 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have picked up my iPad 2 last week () and yet have the original plastic wrapping on it! Am in need of a cover but just cant seem to decide. I'm looking for front and back protection but also something that is really thin and sleek. I have called for an anti-glare screen protector as well.

Can someone please help me choose one from the following?

1. Marware Microshell Folio

2. Speck PixelSkin HD Wrap

3. Speck FitFolio Cover

They cost almost the same with just a few pounds of difference.

Any help will be great! Thank You.
QUOTE Thanks
MrMopple

MrMopple is on a distinguished road

I'm extremely happy with my iPad2 (obviously) and apart from the marks the Smart cover leaves on the front of the screen, am happy with that too. But after spending a good deal of money on the iPad, the Smart cover just isn't enough protection I feel it deserves.

Does anyone know of or recommend a suitable alternative to the Smart cover which will protect both the front and rear of the iPad, ideally a leather case bound style case as apposed to the thin skin protection ones?

Many Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I am crazy to get a 1st gen iPad Mini? | iPad Time Zone »