New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

Smart Covers, Cases, Screen Protectors

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

righturn

righturn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)

I needed a cover fast, for my lucky purchase of my I pad 2. I just grabbed a griffin one at best buy. I was leaving for France in two days so I needed a case. I liked it, not that it is super, but it also covers the back, no scratches etc. I also found a neoprene case for a netbook at a dollar store be between the two it can travel reasonably safe in my big carry on. By the way, TSA does require you to take it out.
QUOTE Thanks
Jman

Jman is on a distinguished road

I think I'll just get the smart cover for now and then get something like the Radtech Skinny Case once all the cases start to get released. I doubt the back will get scratched too easily. It's going to be in my house and I might take it to school 3 times or so a week, but I have a DvD player case which works fine that I can put it in.
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
Here is the post with the links to the pictures... Enjoy!
Good pics, I ordered mine based off seeing these!

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GT View Post
Good pics, I ordered mine based off seeing these!
Whooaa! I should call fusion of ideas and ask for my commission

Glad I was able to help, enjoy it. If you need tips with the installation let me know.

Cheers,

Mina
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

jacksonian will become famous soon enough

Jman,
You and I are looking for the exact same thing. I loved the original Apple iPad case. I wish they had just done a new and improved smart version of that case. I've ordered that RadTech Skinny as it seems to be the closest to it so far, it should ship late next week from Australia.

I've also looked at just about every other case out there. The Speck Pixel Skin HD looks like a combo of the original Apple case plus the new smart cover. But it still says coming soon and I'm not really a fan of the triangle fold design.

I'd really love to keep it sleek/naked, but I know it'll get dropped eventually and that Apple case saved it several times. I'm considering a combo of the Incipio Feather hard shell case to protect the back :Incipio iPad 2 feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case, iPad 2 Cases, iPad 2G Cases, iPad Accessories, iPad Covers, iPad Skins, iPad Hard Shell Cases, iPad 2 Protectors
plus this wooden smart cover from Miniot. It's like the smart cover except made of real wood and it rolls up instead of the triangle fold design:
https://www.miniot.com/webshop/?port...e=miniotcover#

I'm thinking that might give me enough protection while still keeping it really sleek. But I'm not sure yet. I'll post as soon as the RadTech Skinny arrives.
QUOTE Thanks
Senator48

Senator48 is on a distinguished road

Power Support screen protectors begin shipping April 7 and are now available for pre-order in case anyone was waiting on these to become available. Already placed my order this morning.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Interesting. You created an account here just to announce to people who have never heard of you that some screen protector that no one has ever heard of is available and you just ordered one yourself? And you didn't even spa… I mean post… a link.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Last edited by Lifeisabeach; 03-30-2011 at 10:54 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
Jman

Lol its a wooden smart cover. I think I'll get the smart cover on the day my iPad 2 shows up, and then once the RadTech skinny comes out I'll grab that one.

Would the smart cover work with the incipio hard case? It might obscure the magnets or something. And that one doesn't even have an estimated shipping date. I doubt I'll drop it, but I'm afraid of something happening (like the dog jumps on me and knocks it out of my hands, other family member drops it,etc..) and I doubt the smart cover would protect much if it landed glass-down. Of course, most covers would not protect it. Wouldn't your wood cover just smash the glass anyway if it landed face down? Anyways thanks for the advice

edit- looks like they are available, I was looking at a specific color that was out of stock. Oops. Again though, I'd want it to work with the smart cover. A back protector + smart cover is probably sufficient for around the house use. I have another case (its a dvd player case that fits perfectly) that I plan on putting the iPad 2 (with back + smart cover still on) inside of when I go anywhere. And I'll probably grab a best buy warranty so if it breaks I'll get a new one anyway

edit again- found this (youtube). Apparently it does work with smart cover. Although now I wonder if its really necessary to cover the back?

Smart cover video that worries me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOPh...eature=related

Last edited by Jman; 03-30-2011 at 11:09 AM.
QUOTE Thanks
Jman

I posted and now its gone for some reason....Weird. Anyway I'll probably grab the smart cover for now and then swap it out for the RadTech once that is available. (I believe mid April, right?). Hate to waste money on a case I might not use for long, but I need some kind of protection for when it arrives.
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

Sometimes I like the smart cover other times I don't
However I did shut off the feature that turns the iPad on and shuts it off using the cover
It was getting annoying
QUOTE Thanks
a.j.c.

a.j.c. is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: soon to be another iMac owner

Lol...
Busted
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I posted and now its gone for some reason....Weird. Anyway I'll probably grab the smart cover for now and then swap it out for the RadTech once that is available. (I believe mid April, right?). Hate to waste money on a case I might not use for long, but I need some kind of protection for when it arrives.
You'll have 2 weeks to return the smart cover if you want to. I returned mine for a refund.

As for covering the back, I personally like to. The iPad is kind of cold and slick. I prefer something with a little more grip that would also protect it from scratches. But I do appreciate the design when it's naked.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonian

I tried putting on the SGP screen protector and did not like it, could not get it on without lots of bubbles. I'm going back to my PowerSupport Crystal films, they just started allowing preorders and they should ship end of next week.
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

Company representative? I'll take a free sample and post reviews

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Saw this and it has me thinking of scrapping my old plans of smartcover/Zagg/slip case and just going with this instead.

PixelSkin HD Wrap Case for iPad 2 | iPad 2 Case | iPad Cases | iPad Cover

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I am crazy to get a 1st gen iPad Mini? | iPad Time Zone »