New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iPad Hardware and Accessories Discuss the iPad hardware and accessories

iPad2 battery life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nikonshooter

Nikonshooter is on a distinguished road

Well, happy with the product but the battery life is as bad as iPhone 4. It says 10 hours life, but having adjust the brightness setting to max, After 2 hours I go from 100% to 70% At this rate, if will give approx 6.5 hours... Any tips?

27' iMac i5 2.7 10.7.1  1TB HD  16GB DDR3 - AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB - Magic Trackpad * White iPhone 4s 16GB  iPad 2 64GB  iPod Nano 1st Generation  iPod Nano 6th Generation  iPod Touch 1st Generation  MacBook Unibody 1st Generation 
QUOTE Thanks
New MBP User

New MBP User will become famous soon enough

I don't think you will ever get the actual battery life they suggest. My new iPad 2 is just as bad to be honest, maybe worse. Try turning brightness down, turning off push for emails if you have it on etc etc.
QUOTE Thanks
RustProofCorn

RustProofCorn has a spectacular aura about

To get ten hours it Depends on what your doing and what your setting are. If I'm just browsing with default settings I'm getting around 10 hours. If I'm watching Netflix it goes down.

60% of the time it works every time.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

You shouldn't really need to keep the brightness that high unless you have a medical condition. I keep mine just barely above the lowest setting and it's more than bright enough. As such, the battery lasts through at least two days of light use or a single day of heavy use.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Moved to more appropriate forum.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
willanderson

willanderson is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Early 2008 Macbook 2.4 4GB

i think they run their tests with screen setting to halfway. also, like others have said, it depends a lot on what you're doing on it. i.e. gaming would use up much more battery than browsing or typing...
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Apple notes the following about how they measured battery life (source):
Quote:
Testing conducted by Apple in February 2011 using preproduction iPad 2 units and software. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi-Fi or 3G. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique songs, consisting of a combination of songs imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and songs purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Internet over Wi-Fi and 3G tests were conducted using dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour. All settings were default except: Wi-Fi was associated with a network (except for Internet browsing over 3G); the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests are conducted using specific iPad 2 units; actual results may vary.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Apple notes the following about how they measured battery life...
I'd say that's a pretty darn detailed description!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

I thought so too! They detail it down to the minute and number of songs (even the bitrate is included). One thing that is absent though is the brightness setting. The only mention of brightness is where they note that auto-brightness is turned off.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

"Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique songs, consisting of a combination of songs imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and songs purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding)."

Actually now that I'm thinking about it...that Apple description might be a bit confusing. Just considering the playlist of 358 unique songs...does this mean that all 358 songs were played completely from beginning to end?...not sure. If 358 songs were played from beginning to end, and if you assume an average song length of 3 minutes...that would be:

3:00 min x 358 = 1074 minutes...then, 1074 min/60 = 17.9 hours.

If you assumed a conservative 2 minutes/song:

2:00 min x 358 = 716 minutes...then, 716/60 = 11.9 hours.

Maybe the display goes to sleep during long music playbacks...extending battery life (???).

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

They must have just played random songs from that 358 until the battery died.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
They must have just played random songs from that 358 until the battery died.
Ahh...that would probably make more sense.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

I also thought the battery life was a little lower than I expected to get from it to be honest, it seemed to drop very quickly yesterday (my first full day of play).

Today however it has not dropped as quickly, I have used the kindle and the Internet in terms of browser and twitter quite a few times today as well as listen to the iPod and play a little angry birds. So not sure why it dropped so much yesterday unless pages batters the processor or something (I did do a lot of typing yesterday).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Compact Flash adapter available for iPad | Did you change your mind about getting an iPad2? »